Automatic transmission and 4Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mig72

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I own a Jeep KJ 2800 CRD diesel 163 hp, automatic gearbox. Not being an automatic gearbox expert, I wanted to ask two questions: 1) what is the best way to engage and disengage the 4Low with automatic trasmission? 2) when 4Low is engaged, how do you proceed with the automatic gearbox? What gear are you walking in? Is it possible to go with the gearbox on "D"? Thank you

Mig72

Reaction score
I think the book method is to be rolling at less than 5mph and shift transmission into neutral, then shift transfer case in or out of 4low.
when the 4L is inserted, do you proceed with the marks in "D"? Or with gear 1 and 2?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
when the 4L is inserted, do you proceed with the marks in "D"? Or with gear 1 and 2?
It's been a long time since I've driven my jeep but I would go with "D" unless I was pulling stumps. I think it shifts past "1 and 2" pretty quickly in low range.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The way I remember is don't reach for the transfer case shifter handle, until your auto transmission is in neutral. Moving slowly forward is best.
Same thing coming back out, into neutral then down with the transfer case handle, then back into drive.
Keep in mind 4 low is for lower crawling speeds. Yes you can also use Drive- 2nd and 1st gear too then.
Most of the time with a Command Trac, for slippery surfaces, I select part time/ Drive.
I have the command trac system on the left in photo below.
Which one do you have?
With comand trac you need to be on gravel, mud/snow /grass surfaces, slippery conditions. Otherwise binding in the steering will occur, avoid that.

Attachments

• Shifter Transfer Case.jpg
    Shifter Transfer Case.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 11

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the command track, lever on the left and it's fine in 4 hi on a mountain highway with long sweeping curves with the occasional patch of ice or snow mingled with wet to dry spots. It's tight maneuvers such as a parking lot situation or smaller side streets where it shouldn't be used unless slippery.

Mig72

Reaction score
The way I remember is don't reach for the transfer case shifter handle, until your auto transmission is in neutral. Moving slowly forward is best.
Same thing coming back out, into neutral then down with the transfer case handle, then back into drive.
Keep in mind 4 low is for lower crawling speeds. Yes you can also use Drive- 2nd and 1st gear too then.
Most of the time with a Command Trac, for slippery surfaces, I select part time/ Drive.
I have the command trac system on the left in photo below.
Which one do you have?
With comand trac you need to be on gravel, mud/snow /grass surfaces, slippery conditions. Otherwise binding in the steering will occur, avoid that.
I have the second: selec trac-full time

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
Sto
Hi everyone, I own a Jeep KJ 2800 CRD diesel 163 hp, automatic gearbox. Not being an automatic gearbox expert, I wanted to ask two questions: 1) what is the best way to engage and disengage the 4Low with automatic trasmission? 2) when 4Low is engaged, how do you proceed with the automatic gearbox? What gear are you walking in? Is it possible to go with the gearbox on "D"? Thank yStoo
Stop, put it in neutral then put it into 4low. You can drive with it in 4low you don't need too be in a lower gear in the transmission. I ran low quite often in my 06 and that's how I did it always worked fine. If you're going down a really steep hill and you find having it in 4low isn't holding you back enough put it in number 2 and you'll just crawl.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As LibertyTC said. Best is to have transmission in neutral and be just moving when shifting to 4Lo.
As soon as you are in 4Lo, you can use the shifter accordingly. In a very steep and slippery decline you might choose 1 to keep going down as slow as possible.
Have in mind if you are going up a long steep hill, that gear changing heats up the transmission, therefore choose the gear you will be mostly using or go up in a steady pace to avoid gear changes.

Latest posts

Members online