Auto Transmission Flushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Does anyone know if a process similar to the one I've posted below will work on the KJ transmission? This process is for flushing Ford Taurus transmissions, I've done this process on a Taurus and it works really nice! FYI - I copied the process from a Ford forum.

Here's the easiest and cleanest way to change the ALL the fluid and filter.

1. You may still spill some fluid when dropping the pan. Best just spread out the oil dry before starting.

2. Jack up the car and place on jack stands.

3. Next disconnect the line on the drivers side of the aux ATX cooler. Put the ****** side line in a five gallon bucket. Attach a piece of 3/8" hose to the cooler where you just disconnected the line and place it on the bucket.

4. Start the engine and wait until the fluid almost stops. There will be a definite difference in the amount flowing out.

5. Stop the engine.

6. Start loosening the bolts on the pan. There is still 3-4 quarts in the pan. Position a drain pan under the ****** pan and on the drivers side. Loosen and remove all the bolts but two on the passenger side. This will let the drivers side tip down as you then slowly loosen the remaining two. After the pan is mostly down and the fluid is in the drain pan remove the pan completely and replace the filter. Be sure to remove the rubber ring that will stick up in the ****** filter mount. Just bend it in with a screwdriver and pull it out with a needle nose. Do not scratch the aluminum ****** filter holding housing.

7. Reusing the OEM gasket and in a three pass sequence progressively tighten every other bolt until all are tightened. Do not over tighten as they really just need to be snug. Use a 1/4" ratchet drive socket.

8. Then add 10 quarts. Start the motor and wait until it almost stops pumping fluid out or until you see new fluid coming out. Better to waste a quart or two of new fluid to insure all the old stuff is out.

9. When the flow has almost stopped, shut off the engine and reconnect the hoses.

10. Add 5 quarts, idle motor, put the shifter in each position pausing for a few seconds in each position and return shifter to Park. Check level keeping it on the low side on the dipstick.

11. Then drive the car for a while to heat up the ****** fluid and recheck
and top off the fluid.

I called a friend of my old boss after reading this, this morning... He has been a mechanic for FORD for the last 40 PLUS years...
And this is what he had to said after reading this BULL CHIT!. And I'll leave out 90% of the bad words!
"This has got to be the most Effin ridiculous thing I have read yet!
No wonder people say
Found On Road Dead!"

And I totally agree!

But, what ever blows your hair back.
It's your transmission and your money!

I think I'll stick to bringing our KJ to a Chrysler dealership for a proper professional transmission flush for the $300.00 they charge instead following
the above instructions from The Mickey Mouse Technical Institute!

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an estimate from the dealer for a ****** flush + new filter. 285$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100.85$ worth of fluid
120$ labor
32$ filter kit

add taxes and your at 285$

That's about right. I paid $300 to have a flush and both filters changed in my KJ. When they were finished they did a quick learn.

A standard flush was $75 though.

Canuck

Reaction score
I called a friend of my old boss after reading this, this morning... He has been a mechanic for FORD for the last 40 PLUS years...
And this is what he had to said after reading this BULL CHIT!. And I'll leave out 90% of the bad words!
"This has got to be the most Effin ridiculous thing I have read yet!
No wonder people say
Found On Road Dead!"

And I totally agree!

But, what ever blows your hair back.
It's your transmission and your money!

I think I'll stick to bringing our KJ to a Chrysler dealership for a proper professional transmission flush for the $300.00 they charge instead following
the above instructions from The Mickey Mouse Technical Institute!

Hard for me to give much merit to a post full of childish comments and nothing resembling any technical information.

FYI - A Ford service manger was well aware of the process. But I wasn't looking for information in relation to doing this on a Ford, I was looking for meaningful input in relation to Jeep transmissions.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hard for me to give much merit to a post full of childish comments and nothing resembling any technical information.

FYI - A Ford service manger was well aware of the process. But I wasn't looking for information in relation to doing this on a Ford, I was looking for meaningful input in relation to Jeep transmissions.

Darn Canadians

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I got an estimate from the dealer for a ****** flush + new filter. 285$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100.85$ worth of fluid
120$ labor
32$ filter kit

add taxes and your at 285$

Ok somethings wrong .. or I don't understand the different levels of flush jobs ... which is it... my money is on the later :D

I paid (March 09) $162.00 at the dealership.

79.15 Trans Service (Adjust bands as required-note other fluids-Road test)
31.62 Filter 52852913-AB
35.95 5l ATF4
6.79 RTV Sealer
3.43 O-Ring
5.88 MultiPurp ?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Ok somethings wrong .. or I don't understand the different levels of flush jobs ... which is it... my money is on the later :D

31.62 Filter 52852913-AB
35.95 5l ATF4
6.79 RTV Sealer
3.43 O-Ring
5.88 MultiPurp ?

No flush,5L indicates pan drop,fluid replacement,filter change.

Canuck

Reaction score

31.62 Filter 52852913-AB
35.95 5l ATF4
6.79 RTV Sealer
3.43 O-Ring
5.88 MultiPurp ?

There is a filter change, which involves dropping the pan, changing the filter, and topping up the fluid. Depending on the transmission only about a third of the fluid is in the pan. (Sounds like that is what you had done)

There is a flush which involves using a flushing machine that is connected to your transmission and all the fluid is replaced....flushed out.

Then there is a combination of both flush and filter change using the flushing machine process, or a process similar to the one I posted. The basic process that I posted apparently came from a 1996 Ford Service manual.

Advantages and disadvantages. Filter change alone only replaces about a third of the fluid, so the old fluid contaminates the new fluid. Flush alone introduces fresh clean fluid to a dirty filter and pan, which some feel will cause problems when the new fluid flushes the contaminents from the pan and filter. The combination filter change and flush covers all the bases but is quite expensive at a dealer.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh.. Roger that

Schooled :D

No Flush for you!

P.S. Welcome Canuck!

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score

31.62 Filter 52852913-AB
35.95 5l ATF4
6.79 RTV Sealer
3.43 O-Ring
5.88 MultiPurp ?

Also, your transmission only has one filter, mine has two(45RFE).