Audio Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked through the posts that already exist and couldn't find one that answers my question so here it is. Ok I have an 05 Jeep Liberty with a stock single CD player, and the 4 speaker 2 tweeter speaker setup. I am thinking of upgrading the deck to the crutchfield/ sony deck http://sm.crutchfield.com/p_158GT630UI/Sony-CDX-GT630UI.html?tp=5685. This deck is only a 4 channel, would i have to add a multichannel amp, or does the jeep have a stock amp already. Or could someone recommend a better deck, I want Ipod capability and not terribly expensive.
I'm also in the process of adding a sub to the mix already have the sub and amp, just need to buy the wiring harness kit and wires, no big deal on that I'm just concerned about compatibility. Not to add any more to this story, I might also upgrade to the Kicker speakers for Jeep from stock. Sorry if this is to much, just a lot for me to figure out without any input.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't get answers here, you might check with Crutchfield. They have some pretty good customer support.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost the exact same radio and shortly after I swapped it out I took out the tweeters and replaced the door speakers with some Kenwoods. The tweeters are connected to the front speakers anyway so the 4 channel outputs would work. If you decide to remove them it only takes about 10 minutes to disconnect them. With my 2K6 I saved about $40 over Walmart due to the free install supplies the Crutchfield gives you.

hood297

Reaction score
yes, it will work fine.

however if you have the infinity system (there are amps+crossovers mounted on front door speakers) and want to add different door speakers you will have to do away with the amps.

but you can hook up the new deck and have no issues with play back. But since the deck has some amperage in it you will probably blow your stock speakers sooner. not right away and not if you dontcrank it up, but eventually.

Also if you get new door speakers and get rid of the amp/crossover then you will be putting direct power to the dash tweeters (no crossover) and will blow them in time since there is no low range filter and will be recieving MHz that the speaker was not designed to handle.

and for the record crutchfield is awesome, they have great customer service and back-up thier products 100%. I get all of my stuff from them, highly reccomened them...

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing in my 2007 model. And since you are ordering from Crutchfield it is easy. When you order a new head unit, they throw in the wiring harness and antenna adapter for free with vehicle specific instructions. Oh, and like MidnightLiberty said, the tweeters are wired into the front channel, so it is actually only a 4 channel system in OEM configuration. It is a quick and easy job. I did mine in the parking lot on my lunch break. It only took about 30 minutes to do.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing in my 2007 model. And since you are ordering from Crutchfield it is easy. When you order a new head unit, they throw in the wiring harness and antenna adapter for free with vehicle specific instructions. Oh, and like MidnightLiberty said, the tweeters are wired into the front channel, so it is actually only a 4 channel system in OEM configuration. It is a quick and easy job. I did mine in the parking lot on my lunch break. It only took about 30 minutes to do.

That's freaking weird. I did the exact same thing, in a parking lot on a lunch break. Then again I had all the right tools and have done several installs.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the great input, glad to hear this is as easy as i'm hoping, the speakers I'm looking at by the way are here

http://www.justforjeeps.com/kire62sp.html And

http://www.justforjeeps.com/kifr6x9spips.html

These look like they could handle the power of the deck, also I'm pretty sure I don't have the amp in the door you were talking about, this jeep is pretty stock, it didn't even come with cruise control (upgrading that right away too). Though I haven't actually checked yet. I'm gonna have to decide between the first deck, and the alpine recommended above, I like it too. Anyone have any better speaker recommendations or cheaper prices? I'll look into the kenwood's to but I had a bad experience with a wal-mart pair of kenwood's before.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the stock speakers (not even upgraded sound package). I was amazed how well they performed once I had a decent head unit to push them. I don't have a sub and they even put out some decent bass once I tuned the EQ and SRS settings the way I like it. I was planning to upgrade them later, but now I don't even think I need to. Try it yourself. You might be surprised like me...

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree, the stock speakers really aren't that bad, i have the sub and amp already from my old truck so i'm gonna put them in. Everything is just gonna get upgraded as i get the budget to do it, I do think i'm going to go with the alpine reciever from crutchfield too. Thanks for the input everyone i'm sure i'll be asking for more as time goes on. ---Next agenda is lift

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about those kickers, but I had a pair of mid-quality kenwood speakers which I tried installing in the back, swapping the stockers, the result was very weak sound.
Rear speakers are powered by the amps attached to the speakers in the front doors. If you have tweeters, you have premium sounds system with amps attached to front doors.

Sure, every speaker is virtually compatible with our jeeps as long as size matches and depth works, so those kickers may just be one of those speakers where swapping rears would not satisfy anyone, in fact may even make it worse.

A lot of people claim that having front setup is more then enough, I also agree as well since the rears are buried so deep.

Just check if you have the premium system, with amps up front, if so just get a new head unit first, if you are still not satisfied with the sound, then try getting new speakers, if still no good, then get amps for the new speakers.. step by step. ;)