Are you entitled to a free bug deflector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters, when I bought my car it did not come with a spare tire cover and I knew I got one because it was right there on the window sticker. At which point the dealer stuck one on the back while they were doing their dealer prep...one with a dealer logo. So when I went to take delivery of it I demanded a JEEP LIBERTY one because, after all, that is what it was supposed to come with and exactly what is meant by Spare Tire Cover. It took some fighting and me flashing my window sticker, but I got my brand new, still in bag, spare tire cover thrown in the trunk before I left and there it stayed until I recently sold it since I have subsequently replaced it with the big Jeep Grille logo cover. No offense, I just like it more.

I digress. I had ordered a build sheet months ago and upon initial scrutiny, wondered what the heck 4TM Aero-Shield (Bug Deflector) was. A call and email to Chrysler in the last week, once I stopped being lazy, has confirmed that it is the Mopar bug deflector for the front of the hood that costs like 80-90 bucks and is included on, at the very least, all Limiteds. Check your build sheet of course. So they called my dealer on my behalf and made them give me a bug deflector out of their parts department, Mopar Part #82207938. Check your build sheets, many of you were supposed to have received this with your purchase. Even if it is a mistake, Chrysler's stance is, "if it is on the build sheet, you were supposed to get it."

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me order my build sheet, but remember they once made a weirdo jeep by combining stuff from KJ, NITRO, and DURANGO :) some mutant jeep, sent it to someone, I remember :)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, and that is why what Chrysler says goes. Their stance is, if it is on the build sheet, it's the word of god, written in stone. Of course, with a mutant build sheet like that they may say an idiot check on this one blatantly says something is not right.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Well, for starters, when I bought my car it did not come with a spare tire cover and I knew I got one because it was right there on the window sticker. At which point the dealer stuck one on the back while they were doing their dealer prep...one with a dealer logo. So when I went to take delivery of it I demanded a JEEP LIBERTY one because, after all, that is what it was supposed to come with and exactly what is meant by Spare Tire Cover. It took some fighting and me flashing my window sticker, but I got my brand new, still in bag, spare tire cover thrown in the trunk before I left and there it stayed until I recently sold it since I have subsequently replaced it with the big Jeep Grille logo cover. No offense, I just like it more.
."

Isn't that kind of cheap on your part? You had fit about it at the dealer and you didn't even use it? We hear too many 'stealership' stories and there are some bad ones but I have a problem of you just not using it all and then selling it. When they did put one on for you in the first place. I told my dealership to keep theirs and bought the smiley face-only in a jeep one. I bought it from them and I have bought many other things for my jeep from them. I have 3 hats and 2 shirts that they have given me for free because I am a loyal customer.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I did want it, and did not throw "a fit" but thanks for being a jerk. I pointed out that it was right there on my window sticker, when they had tried to give me nothing in the first place. Then they tried to give me a rolling billboard for them when I did not particularly feel like having a giant dealership logo on the back. I wanted it because I was entitled to it and had paid for it as part of buying a Limited, and I wanted it because I had every intention of using it as I completed the sale that day. It was several weeks later when I saw what was available to me, after shopping for, and buying, several hundred dollars in accessories, that I decided I would rather have the Grille logo. And it found itself a new home elsewhere with someone who had wanted one to begin with.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets try and keep the personal attacks to a minimum here ok? I dont want to lock threads, but I will if it continues on this course.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me if yours says it hyedipin. Since we have the same year kj and all...

Where did you get your build sheet? O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Tell me if yours says it hyedipin. Since we have the same year kj and all...

Where did you get your build sheet? O:)

will do, i just gotta run out and get my VIN.

get it here:
LINK
just tell them you need build sheet.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Think they might see that something is up with the sudden spike in KJ owners wanting build sheets?...LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Limited and that is not on my build sheet so maby it is on the 06's??

So I guess my "bug shield" is my windshield unless I stick my head out the sunroof, and then it would be my windshield and teeth.

If something is on your build sheet, you should get it as it was included within the options/price that you paid and that is the point. (unless it is some off the wall mistake I guess).

Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may or may not be specific to Limiteds, but I imagine that is one of the criteria since they are in a higher price and options bracket. I have a lot of options as well, but I don't necessarily equate stuff like Side Impact Air Bags or Driver Convenience Groups to getting a bug deflector. Seemed to be something that was just inherent to the Limited since nothing jumped off the sheet as being associated with it.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Actually, I did want it, and did not throw "a fit" but thanks for being a jerk. I pointed out that it was right there on my window sticker, when they had tried to give me nothing in the first place. Then they tried to give me a rolling billboard for them when I did not particularly feel like having a giant dealership logo on the back. I wanted it because I was entitled to it and had paid for it as part of buying a Limited, and I wanted it because I had every intention of using it as I completed the sale that day. It was several weeks later when I saw what was available to me, after shopping for, and buying, several hundred dollars in accessories, that I decided I would rather have the Grille logo. And it found itself a new home elsewhere with someone who had wanted one to begin with.

I am not trying to pick a fight. You said "DEMANDED". Maybe, asked "POLITELY" would have been better. Remember you called me a jerk. I apologize for hurting your feelings. I didn't mean to make you feel like a called you out. That's all I'll say about it.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is only going to apply to people who bought their KJ new of course. If you are not the original owner of the KJ i doubt that DC will do that for you.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone over this before. ALL windows are tinted. Just not DEEP tinted. Tint does not necessarily mean a noticeable darkness - it is a solar protection treatment put on the windows. My front windows are "tinted," just not how you would define tint since they are still nearly translucent. Now my rear windows are Deep Tint, as in about 35%

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
I have gone over this before. ALL windows are tinted. Just not DEEP tinted. Tint does not necessarily mean a noticeable darkness - it is a solar protection treatment put on the windows. My front windows are "tinted," just not how you would define tint since they are still nearly translucent. Now my rear windows are Deep Tint, as in about 35%

gotcha! thanks.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not on my 02 limited build sheet... wish I had one though - I just don't want a black one.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my build sheet.

It does list the bug guard.

I do not have the bug guard.

EDIT**

I just called my sales person.

I told her I requested the build sheet from Jeep, With the part of the VIN that the site requested.

I told her the build sheet lists the bug-shield. and then asked if they vould get it and install it free of charge.

She said if it was a factory installed part it would be on the jeep. She also said to check my window sticker to see if it lists the part.

my window sticker does not list it.....

she is going to pull the build sheet and see then speak with the manager.

I hope that I get it....