Anyone use an ARB fridge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arcteryx

Reaction score
I have an ARB Fridge that I want to take on trips. Link Does anyone have one of these? ARB has a bracket, but its for vehicles with a deeper cargo area. If so, how are you securing it? Pics would help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a ARB fridge but another brand just as big, I just tie mine down to the brackets on the rear cargo area. I have flopped food inside before on trails but never the fridge!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG

OMG

OMG

I did NOT know those things existed.

I WANT!
You didn't see mine at the Badlands? Mine will quick chill beer in just a few minutes, will go to 8 below if you want to freeze anything. I had drinks, ham, turkey everything in mine down there!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You didn't see mine at the Badlands? Mine will quick chill beer in just a few minutes, will go to 8 below if you want to freeze anything. I had drinks, ham, turkey everything in mine down there!

Helped in cooling the 'tasty beverages' on Friday night too. :cool:

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mid sized (40Quart) unit. I got it down at ARB in Seattle when they first came out. THEY ARE AWESOME! It can either be a very good refridge, OR it can freeze a bottle of vodka!!! I know because Ive dont it. Nothing like handing out ice cream bars on the trail mid summer!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think those things are sexxxy but good lawd they're expensive. protest.gif

I'm tempted as an experiment to buy a cheap 1.4 ci fridge/freezer and modify it and see how long it lasts.

The ARB is supposedly engineered to run at 'extreme angles' without compromising operability, but I can't find much information as to what happens if a normal small refrigerator were to periodically moved to extreme angles. It would seem reasonable that if you tried to operate it permanently at an odd angle, that the refrigerant might not circulate correctly. But if only at odd angles here and there, I don't know what the effects would be. Seems like one could experiment for very little money, and if it failed, you'd be out a cheap refrigerator.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Had one in a road tractor,got it at wallyworld,stayed 40* below outside temp,cheaper than ice,less mess. No refrigerant,used a heat sink looking deal,blow dust off,it would work some more.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of those ridenby, it's a Coleman, works OK but not as good as the one I have now.;)
Well I still have the Coleman sitting in the garage, 65 bucks and someone can have a good fridge

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those ridenby, it's a Coleman, works OK but not as good as the one I have now.;)

x2, those are Peltier coolers. They're good as an inexpensive 'cooling' (or heating) solution, but they have serious limitations. They don't guarantee a temperature, they merely maintain the temperature 'x' degrees below ambient. Meaning that if you park your jeep somewhere in the sun and the interior gets to 120f+, the peltier cooler may only be able to maintain something like 80f degrees. They work ok when the ambient temperature is reasonable- like in the 70's. I have one in my truck now.

arcteryx

Reaction score
I have not put the fridge in the back yet to see how it measures up. I saw the ties downs, but I'd really want to have it on the PS more, adjacent to the 12v outlet, so I can use the rest of the cargo area- my dog would appreciate the extra room.

Latest posts

Members online