anyone replace a front wheel bearing yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a wheel bearing going bad (Ithink) I can hear it howling when I drive down the road.
but when I take a right turn it stops. I have an 06 liberty 4x4 not sure if there is a difference in years or not or 4x4 or 4x2 for that matter.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at page #3 on the how to section (hub replacement). Kindly brought to us by ptsb5a (bowdown)

P.N. should be : 52128692AE Right and 52128693AE Left

Anyway, check with the seller to make sure those parts apply to Your Vehicle!

IMHO, I'd also change the 3 bolts (P.N. 06503088) , they can't be so expensive, I guess.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ enjoys an absence of ABS, both left and right hubs were the same PN. Easy enough job to tackle in the garage/driveway. The noise goes away when you turn because of how the load is presented to the bearing surface during a change in direction. If it's growling in the footwells when going in a straight line I'll bet you've got a bum hub unit. 4x4 and 4x2 use the same hubs. Chryco put a knock out filler/plug thing in on the 2wd versions.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick replys .
I will have to call around and see what it will cost me for the hub assembly . I will post my results soon as I can.
got some prices .

after market . $284.99, $164.99, $200.00
and original mopar ,$478.50

the one for $200.00 is in stock and only 1/2 hour away . all the others need to be ordered in.

any one know the tourqe specs?

Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ enjoys an absence of ABS, both left and right hubs were the same PN. Easy enough job to tackle in the garage/driveway. The noise goes away when you turn because of how the load is presented to the bearing surface during a change in direction. If it's growling in the footwells when going in a straight line I'll bet you've got a bum hub unit. 4x4 and 4x2 use the same hubs. Chryco put a knock out filler/plug thing in on the 2wd versions.

X2. (If it is the bearing) Just as a heads up and to expand on what Ian said, if it goes quiet on a right turn it is probably the right bearing, which will probably be worse on a left turn as the bearing on the outside wheel of the turn gets loaded up. Not always true but usually. :smokin:

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like it's comimg from the drivers side, I would say .
if I get it up on four jack stands and put it in 4- high I should be able to hear it from the out side shouldn't I ?

I did that with a front wheel drive car once.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be able to distinguish a rotten hub assembly like that. Keep in mind though, the bearing is only carrying the weight of the wheel when it's hanging in the air and not bearing (that's a nice pun right there) the weight of the vehicle like when it's on the ground.

Good luck bud.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to find out this weekend.
I'm going to use my cousins garage if he's not busy .
no lift but it's better then the driveway this time of year .LOL

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my left hand side wheel bearing went I seem to remember I'd hear a howl when I turned right. Also when I jacked up the entire front end I could grab the front tires and feel the play in the bad bearing.

I paid about $250 Cdn for an aftermarket wheel bearing without an ABS sensor (more expensive) and a lifetime guarantee. If you plan to run bigger than stock tires the guarantee will pay for itself.

I tried to find something in the How To section but I'm surprised nobody has posted a step by step instruction. It can be done in a garage, the only special tool is the socket for the castle nut. What is it? 36mm?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

richm20

Reaction score
Replaced my drivers side with no problem.
Passenger side I stripped the E-14 bolt head :-( Waiting on an extractor and Ill hit it with an impact wrench after heating it. I got new bolts from the local dealer for about $4 each.
PS Got my bearings from Amazon fro about $50 and the reviews (not just amazon) are great.
Bearing assembly: GMB 720-0258 (Passenger side)

Ill hit the stripped bolt tomorrow and report back, keeping fingers crossed that all goes well!

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side I stripped the E-14 bolt head
I managed to damage the head of one of the driver side hub bolts when re-torquing it :(

I didn't realise that the socket wasn't fully engaged on the bolt and I had a cheater pipe on my torque wrench, so I was able to exert enough force to twist the socket off the bolt while damaging the head just enough that the socket wouldn't go back onto the bolt afterwards... but possibly a bit of judicious grinding with my Dremel will fix the problem when I next have to have that hub off.

Members online

No members online now.