Anyone else have this happen?(****** shifting)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever had this happen before. Im use to the normal delay coming out of P when the ****** is cold. Usually its a 1-2sec delay then it thuds into R or D. Over the past month Ive had it take much longer than that going into either D or R. Its happened twice, right after driving the Jeep and after letting it sit for 2-3 hours. Never had it happen when the Jeep is cold. The first time I went into R and didnt feel it go into R, so I gave the gas a tap and it thudded into R. Then today I went from P to D and it took 3-4sec then thudded in harder than it usually does.

Its got a little under a year of power train warranty left. Ill slap the stock tires on it and take it in if it gets any worse. Just curious if anyone has ever had it happen before.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That does not sound right. Have you checked the trans fluid when hot (30min Driving) is it dead on or a bit high/low? ..OR....
Let dealer deal with cleaning the pump and new filter gasket etc, reprogramming TC or TCM as necessary.
I question these torque converters...weird stuff goes on with these delays and others.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing here. ive had it a few times where it just sits there for 2-3 secs and then i give it gas and it goes, no thud though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh sorry, forgot to say the fluid is perfect. Checked it on level ground after driving and while in N, its fine. Fluid change(no flush) with filter was done at 30k, shes at ~48k now.

USMarine1171

Reaction score
I've noticed it on mine also. Now I'm scared to shift and give it throttle too quick. Gotta give her time..WTF? Anyways, last week my battery died after less than 3 years and 46K miles. When a buddy jumped me after work and I drove to get a new battery the trannny would not go higher than second gear. I assume because the battery was dead....it was conserving energy? We'll see if it happens now that i have a new battery...prolly just a conincidence.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed it on mine also. Now I'm scared to shift and give it throttle too quick. Gotta give her time..WTF? Anyways, last week my battery died after less than 3 years and 46K miles. When a buddy jumped me after work and I drove to get a new battery the trannny would not go higher than second gear. I assume because the battery was dead....it was conserving energy? We'll see if it happens now that i have a new battery...prolly just a conincidence.

Yeah Ive gotten use to waiting a few then giving it gas. This is a bit worse than the norm though.

Dead/dying batteries can do some strange things on the kj. Ive never heard of it keeping the ****** from going above 2nd though. Usually that means its in limp mode and it should give a check engine light. Id wait till I got a new battery to worry about anything though.

USMarine1171

Reaction score
Yeah Ive gotten use to waiting a few then giving it gas. This is a bit worse than the norm though.

Dead/dying batteries can do some strange things on the kj. Ive never heard of it keeping the ****** from going above 2nd though. Usually that means its in limp mode and it should give a check engine light. Id wait till I got a new battery to worry about anything though.

Yeah...ti was limping...the check engine light cam on.

I got a jump in the am to get to work...then after work in order to buy a battery i got jumped again...thats when it wouldn't shift higher than second.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on the 4 speed transmissions but I know that the older 3 speed's
have a check valve in the cooler line
some times this valve will get stuck and cause these issues

I removed the one from my TJ a long time ago
now when I get in it takes 10 seconds or more to start moving but no sudden thud
and no more busted transmission lines

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's under warraty, I'd take it in. Even if they won't do anything, at least there will be a record that you brought it in.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In the old school days before all this computerization, my TH-350C with shift kit and lock up was also sensitive to fluid levels. I had the transmission rebuilt, new torque converter and I put a new V-8 in and then installed a huge aluminum cooler. If the transmission was not over filled by at least a quart, or about a half an inch above the full line on the dipstick, it would also act similar to the Liberty in it's hesitations. Simply explained more fluid gave more fluid pressures and made the transmission shift with out hesitations.
Now onto the Liberty. These are computer controlled and use a highly friction modified ATF+4 fluid. Some would say Chrysler went to ATF+4 fluid to help make up for shifting irregularity in valve body and torque converters. I guess my question is: Since the Chrysler lag is often present, has anyone tired to add a bit over filled to see if that may help and secondly since the dealer has update able TCM software, what in the update was modified to try to solve these problems? Lastly if the stock torque converter is a piece of s6%t and is the main problem, has anyone tried and after market performance and higher quality torque converter. If an after market went in what kind of programming requirement were needed or not?
Is Chrysler replacing the problematic torque converters with a different current TC?

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same gear delay issue after installing the Jet Stage 1 performance chip :rolleyes:. I hope this problem won’t go beyond the 3 sec delay.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to dig this thread up again but now mine is also getting worse! i still dont have a thud or anything nasty sounding, but when i put it into R or D it will just sit there but it still makes the solenoid click sound. i waited more than 10 sec tonight and nothing....then i tapped the gas and it moved like normal and i went to R and D multiple times after and it was normal again. fluid levels are good and no CEL. any one know what is going on? one thought i do have though is if the PO would have done a flush themselves or a shaddy mech and not had got ATF4 in...?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would disconnect the battery negative for 15 minutes, causing the computer memory to re-set, and a new learn for the transmission. Reconnect the battery and then put into reverse,N,Drive over again 3 times and take it for a boogie, when warmed up with wide open throttle runs a few times.
You should consider getting the dealer to service the kj's transmission and replace fluid filter and see if there is a TCM update.