Anyone else dislike the climate/blower controls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Over the past 2 months with my KJ, I've noticed that my climate controls are beginning to make me angry, sort of. I don't have a problem with the fact that just a little turn of the switch for the vents takes 15 seconds to engage, it's that I can't independently control each function, like A/C. Instead, I have to select one on the middle knob, and of course, all defrost positions turn the A/C on by default. I'd like an option to turn that off, and of course, the '05 model has exactly what I want, heh. Otherwise, heat is toasty, and A/C makes a hot summer feel like I'm in the North Pole. (During some of September, it got pretty hot here in Michigan.)

Does this annoy anyone else, or am I just too darn picky? I'm seriously thinking of swapping the dash unit.... but I wonder if it will work or not. \:D/

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike the controls per se. But I do agree with some of your assessments. I wish that you could seperately control the A/C and what not, and I also wish that you could turn on recirculation in whatever mode you were in, and not just be limited to Max a/c. I like to be able to do that and cut off the outside air. I wish that they would make that change. That is the only thing I like better about my father's Honda Element, that I cannot fix on my Libby :-k [/i]

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
well, i've been in a chrysler made vehicle since 1998 so the adjustment was next to nothing. the 05's have an AC button as opposed to the ones in the 02's to the 03's

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I forgot about the recirc function... I was reminded today when a Grand Am with (apparently) a busted head gasket pulled out in front of me. Had to turn all the way to Max A/C for inside air.

Pure genius these climate controls are, but they're small in comparison with the rest of the Jeep. I love the thing! =P~ Wonder if I can get 300,000 out of it?

BTW: Bennett, great site you have here. I prefer phpBB to EZboard...which I can't stand anymore. It's way too frustrating to use. I think I'll spend my time here. (and of course, at the site in my signature) Keep up the good work.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the A/C on with the defroster is because the A/C acts like a dehumidifier (that is why when you stop a vehicle after using the A/C, you'll notice water dripping from underneath). In my daily driver, a Honda, it automatically turns on the A/C when I turn on the defroster, but it does allow me to turn off the A/C. I prefer to drive with the outside fresh air off due to air pollution (I drive by a refinery for one), so in that case I have to leave the A/C on or else my windows usually fog up. In my KJ, same thing. And yes the KJ does have a good A/C!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my chief complaint is the lack of a recirc feature. I am allergic to lots of things and the being able to block the outside air is really nice. Last winter, I drove with the a/c on max all winter, admittedly here in TX, but still...would have liked to block the outside air in other modes. Also drive through a manufactering corridor on the way to the college and it stinks as well. So my chief complaint with my Libby is the lack of recirc. But oh well, nothing is perfect, so I'll just put the heat and max a/c on at the same time and enjoy everything else about my KJ. \:D/

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
isnt there one already..if I remember correctly....
the first setting is ac on with vents closed then ac on with recirc
then ac off recirc.....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I am glad that it recircs on max a/c, which is where I have to leave it all the time, I just wish that I could turn the heater on or the defroster, or some mix and turn the outside air off. But nothing is perfect.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i hardly ever use recirc, only when i need to cool down the cabin fast....
other than that, it's always on mix....

i wonder if you can replace the HVAC controls from the 05's....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would be really cool, but boy, I bet that would be a major pain in the ****. But I still would be interested, if it could be done, but I bet it can't.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yoda13 said:
that would be really cool, but boy, I bet that would be a major pain in the ****. But I still would be interested, if it could be done, but I bet it can't.

i dont see how bad it could be, maybe just an extra switch or what not
i mean, it still should fit physically, and it's just that A/C button thats added, so, a relay perhaps...?....

wait till there are junked 05's then we can go see.... \:D/

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make it sound so easy, I gotta get over my nervousness about modifying my vehicle. I used to do it all the time when I was in high school, now that I am a little older....I don't know what happened :alien:

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt, to answer your original question, no. I really don't have issues with the air controls. As a matter of fact, the sync'd defrost / heated mirrors is kinda sweet.

Now as for the moron(s) who put the window controls and heated seat buttons in their positions should be punched in the head.

- Hammer.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the location of any of the controls. I just thought it was an American thing (being the first genuine American car I have owned). I have actually learnt to like them. But I sold a Landrover Defender to buy this Jeep and Defender drivers are lucky to have a gear stick, steering wheel and pedals. So air con, electric windows and cruise control are HEAVEN. \:D/

Ian

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Over the past 2 months with my KJ, I've noticed that my climate controls are beginning to make me angry, sort of. I don't have a problem with the fact that just a little turn of the switch for the vents takes 15 seconds to engage, it's that I can't independently control each function, like A/C. Instead, I have to select one on the middle knob, and of course, all defrost positions turn the A/C on by default. I'd like an option to turn that off, and of course, the '05 model has exactly what I want, heh. Otherwise, heat is toasty, and A/C makes a hot summer feel like I'm in the North Pole. (During some of September, it got pretty hot here in Michigan.)

Does this annoy anyone else, or am I just too darn picky? I'm seriously thinking of swapping the dash unit.... but I wonder if it will work or not. \:D/

The slow operation of the HVAC control (fan & heat selection excluded) is caused by the fact that it is vacuum operated.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Controls

marlonjbt said:
Oh, I know that. :) Chrysler has been using Vacuum Actuated controls for YEARS now, so I'm used to them.

Yep, but do you know who makes 'em for DC? LOL :glasses2:

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Controls

valvestem said:
marlonjbt said:
Oh, I know that. :) Chrysler has been using Vacuum Actuated controls for YEARS now, so I'm used to them.

Yep, but do you know who makes 'em for DC? LOL :glasses2:

Well, tell us, because I don't know, and now I am curious :-k

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the AC is too cold and you want recirc, turn the heat control knob more to the heat. It should warm up. Yes, your AC is on and drinking fuel, but you won't freeze.

deknight

Reaction score
For everyone who doesn't like the a/c controls on the 02-04 models, you can put the a/c controler from a 05 in and have the a/c button separate from the recirculating function. I just did it on my 04 and it works perfectly. Now I don't know for sure if it will work on 02's and 03's but it was a simple plug-in-play installation for me. All the vacuum lines were the same as was the electric plug. Just look on ebay, I see one on there everyonce in a while.