Anybody use the Military style (Jerry) gas cans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusted72

Reaction score
Just wandering I picked up a new can today as well as 2 of the holder brackets for free at work. I also got some new chains and 2 spouts for the can. It was all in the trash too. I also included pics of my wooden 81mm mortar box I put my wheeling stuff in.

Attachments

• Post blast Pics 004.jpg
    Post blast Pics 004.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Post blast Pics 001.jpg
    Post blast Pics 001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Post blast Pics 002.jpg
    Post blast Pics 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Post blast Pics 003.jpg
    Post blast Pics 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 68

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
NICE Mortar box and some accessories. When you have a jeep the list is never ending. Amazing how much safety & towing gear you can end up with.
Regarding the old school metal Jerry cans...even though I like the strength and looks of them, ensure they are not rusted along the seams/bottom inside.
I know that many who want to actually use them have a rad shop clean and use a gas safe, chemical liner inside them. This basically seals them from rusting and keep the gas free from rust particulates. Same type liner that is used for restoring motorcycle tanks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok....well plastix are el cheapos, can work well (like em for water) but can puncture easily.
Later in my KJ's future, I can see having the roof rack which is where the spare will go, and then mount two camouflaged,custom painted Jerry's onto the tail gate with a high lift jack.

dusted72

Reaction score
I have dropped these from the top of a HMMWV full of fuel and not broke as well as accidentally ran a full one over. These are actually really strong for plastic. They are the actual ones used by the ARMY.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Scepter milspec 20L plastic jerry can's are the best thing going, won't dent, won't overheat, won't explode in a fire. I've got 4 of them and love em.

dusted72

Reaction score
I just went outside and checked thats what kind mine are. If you need anymore let me know I can get more and I know I am cheaper then anywhere else.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Scepter are a different story agreed. They are the strongest around.
One note re plastics and Jerry's in general though, is static electricity.
When filling make sure they are not all together and ensure you are grounded (touched metal to release any possible static charge)well before filling.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice...... and finding them in the trash is even better.

Dave

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scepter Fuel Cans

I just went outside and checked thats what kind mine are. If you need anymore let me know I can get more and I know I am cheaper then anywhere else.

Thanks, I would be interested in a couple more. How much?

semper_rideo

Reaction score
If you start a thread in the for sale section and post the link here, that would definately help.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a surplus Canadian military can, looks the same as yours except it's green. Has a red tether for the cap, they also come with a yellow tether for diesel.

I carried it full, inside the Jeep for a 3500 km camping trip and it never leaked. Almost needed it once but managed to find a gas station in time!

I like the brackets though, would like to find some of those up here!

Oh, and that mortar box is cool! I'm looking for a larger steel ammo box to mount on the front of my utility trailer too, seen one once a long time ago but haven't seen any since. The small .50 cal ammo cans are readily available here.

Dave

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wandering I picked up a new can today as well as 2 of the holder brackets for free at work. I also got some new chains and 2 spouts for the can. It was all in the trash too. I also included pics of my wooden 81mm mortar box I put my wheeling stuff in.

Heck yeah. I've been carting this old mortar box in several vehicles for over 10 years.
You must be registered for see images

Contents:
Jumper cables
Tow straps
Hatchet
Ball hitch
Stocking hat/ wool gloves
First aid kit
hand thrower for clay pigeons (got tired of forgetting it at home)
And an MRE

Strapped to the top is a brush-axe and a folding shovel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.