Another windows tint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wanted tinted windows for a long time. As per a previous post, I tried the Walmart tint stuff - turned out horrible so I pulled it off. A local car shop was offering tinting for just the front side windows which is all I needed for $65. They said almost all of the cars they tint get the 20% even though Maryland law is 35%. They said the rear factory windows windows on my Jeep were at 20% and a 20% tint to the front would make it all match. Initially I was going to go with the 35% or even higher but with the sunroof I figured 20% would look brighter and would be okay.

But holy crap, those 20% tints looked incredibly dark. Looked much darker than the rear factory tinted windows and screamed for the cops to stop me. So, before the glue set up, I peeled them off and figured I just blew the $65 and that was just life.

I'm just wondering - what is the base or standard/slight tint that our front windows have? If they have a 5% or 10% tint just in "clear" glass then I guess the 20% tint film added on could have the effect of about a 10% tint film window, or say, blocking ~ 90% of the light.

Dan

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front windows tinted (in Maryland) to match the factory tinted rears. The fronts were tinted at 20% and match perfectly.

3544-beast.jpg

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice look, Elmer. Nice job. Maybe the film the guys used on mine was different.

How long have you had your tints on? Ever stopped for it?

Dan

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Had these tints on for about 3 months now.

I've had tinted windows on all my vehicles (driven mostly in MD. Also VA while in school) and have never been pulled over for it. Inherited my brother's old truck that had 5% when he got a new one and had no problems. I was even stopped for speeding in that truck once and the cop didn't even mention the tints. I think you're mostly okay in MD unless you just happen to pass that one ****** cop who is having a bad day.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't EVER drive into Jersey with tints. At least stay away from small, mainly caucasian towns where cops are bored out of their mind and traffic stops are their exciting part of the day...!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my front windows tinted,like 90% or something and not very noticeable but more for the UV coating the tint gave and makes a huge difference.Cops never mess with mine since it's barely noticeable.

Funny thing was when I had it done is when I was repairing/painting my KJ and no tint shop would touch the windows outside of the vehicle,they would only tint them installed in a vehicle.Ended up having a buddy that used to tint windows and he said it was much easier to apply the tint when the windows were out of the vehicle.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't EVER drive into Jersey with tints. At least stay away from small, mainly caucasian towns where cops are bored out of their mind and traffic stops are their exciting part of the day...!

Or smoked/blacked out tailights, loud mufflers, loud music, basically anything will get you pulled over in Jersey.