Another EVIC/TPMS question. Dealership *****.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys, I need a little affirmation here. At the very least someone to tell me I'm not completely dumb.

Here's what I have:
2002 Liberty Limited

Here's what I added:
...756AG EVIC with TPMS
...990AC sensors
and the front temperature sensor

The EVIC came out of a junked 2002 Chrysler car. I installed it according to the plans here and on the wjjeeps site. Everything is working fine apart from TPMS. That's to be expected as I haven't installed the tire sensors yet. New tires should be installed in a few weeks and I'll have them installed then.

I probably jumped the gun by going to the dealership like they said on the TPMS instructions to get the console programmed to hunt for the 5th tire sensor (it's set for 4 now.)

Kevin, the able-bodied service tech at Atlanta Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge told me that there was no way that the EVIC would work in my vehicle since I had neither the wiring, the wheel-well sensors, nor the computer for it. He also told me that there was no way I could've hooked it up correctly since my Liberty has both a PCI and a CAN bus. Further, he said that there was no option in their scantool menus to tell the console to look for the 5th tire. I'm not buying this. He was fairly condescending, telling me I should go back to the people who've done this and ask them how to get the thing programmed. Getting more and more P.O.'d I told him that's why I was there.

I think I've learned on here that wheel-well sensors are a 2005-present thing. I also think I know that 2002-2004 still uses the PCI bus exclusively. Now, according to all information I've received, I should be able to install the sensors in the tires themselves, train them, and have them work just fine.

Am I totally wrong? Did Chrysler put out EVICs with the same part numbers, but with different capabilities?

I'm so effin' tempted to just go buy new tires today in the hope that I can go prove Kevin wrong.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just and update for myself and for anyone who has the misfortune of going to ask a dealer for anything.

My sensors came in and I "trained" them in my hand using a magnetic parts tray. Everything worked just fine. As part of the training, the EVIC asked me for the spare tire sensor as well, but I don't see it displayed after the training is over.

Can't wait to buy tires now so I can go back and talk with Kevin again.

Snakehn

Reaction score
So what you are saying is that, let's say i find an EVIC on ebay and 5 tire pressure sensors, and replace the OTIS on my 02 Limited, and and everything will work??

Last edited:

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily that simple, but yes. I wanted the "AG" model from 2002 so I knew it'd be compatible, have instant MPG, and read PSI. 2003 and above dropped the instant MPG feature. Any EVIC up to and including an 04 model will work fine on an 02. Part numbers that work and have PSI are 56042756AF, AG, AI, and AJ. AF and AG are from 2002. AI is from 2003. AJ is from 2003-2004. Since you already have an OTIS, the install should be a snap for you. No cutting or running wires.

Next is the tire pressure sensors. For 2002-2004 you have to get part number 52088990AC ONLY or an aftermarket equivalent made by Schrader-Bridgeport (part number 20028, their "Air-Aware" line). They're more expensive than the 2005-present ones, but they're the only ones that work.

Only other thing is an ambient air temperature sensor. I got mine from Autozone for $20. Their lookup number is SU3122. But since you already have an OTIS, you already have that.

Once everything is hooked up and installed, train your sensors using the EVIC menu and a strong-ish magnet and you're good to go.

I still don't know if it'll display the spare tire information yet, though. I have to wait and see once the new tires are on. If not, I guess I'll have to find another dealer to pester.

See these sites for more info. They're what I followed.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/evic.html
http://alucinari.net/jeep/kj/evic_install/

By the way, don't pay attention to those sites where they list the extra features that an EVIC can give you. Many of them are vehicle-specific and don't apply to the Liberty at all. Even some that *do* apply to the Liberty aren't changeable via the EVIC. Things like horn chirps and light flashes and locks have to be done according to the manual with the key fob. Headlights on with wipers (something I had hoped for; I'm a lawbreaker more often than not) doesn't work. Sentry key programming doesn't work. Mirrors tilting down in reverse doesn't work (that's controlled by the seat memory module in some Chrysler cars). The list goes on. All the basic functions do work, though.

Last edited:

Snakehn

Reaction score
thanks for all the information, very helpful.

one more question about all those non working features...
once you installed your evic, are those non working features displayed on screen anyway, or just the features available on your vehicle?

thanks again.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an answer I haven't really gotten clarification on. Are the options displayed a factor of the original car the EVIC came with, or do they all have the same options?

Mine displays options, but doesn't let me make changes on most of them.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evic

Great writeup, especially providing the part numbers.

The spare tire pressure will not display, however, you will get a warning if the spare tire pressure is low/high. My low pressure warning seems to vary 1-2 psi (26-28 psi) and my high pressure warning kicks in at 40 psi.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the options are a factor of the part number. Which options can you not change?
Here are my menu options:
Language
US/Metric
Auto door locks
Auto unlock on exit
Remote unlock driver door 1st
Sound horn with lock
Flash lights with lock
Headlamp delay
Service interval
Tain remote
Retrain sensors

Of those, I can only change the language, US/Metric, Service interval, Train remote, and Retrain sensors.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spare tire pressure will not display, however, you will get a warning if the spare tire pressure is low/high.
I only whined about that because I thought I saw a picture showing all five pressure levels simultaneously on one of the sites I linked. On checking it again, the pic I saw was of a test screen counting the signals over time from the individual sensors.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my final update in case any lurkers read this and want to do it later. Got new tires installed. Sensors were put in for free. Everything works fine as far as TPMS goes. Training the sensors did not give a horn-chirp, unlike some how-tos said.