another clutch....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my clutch again, only after 3K (installer was a dumb shit). Anyways, looking for guidance on what brand clutch is best and any advice or things to look for during the process. This will be my first clutch repair and I want to do it right!

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Would find a good reputable transmission shop and forget about it. Don't u need a new flywheel too? I hope you find a good shop if not just a dealer. :pp:

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Would find a good reputable transmission shop and forget about it. Don't u need a new flywheel too? I hope you find a good shop if not just a dealer. :pp:

I can't afford to pay for it! I replaced the flywheel the second time!

Here's the story.

I got a new clutch because the old clutch was stiff and slipping a little up steap grades. When they replaced the clutch the first time, the tech machined my flywheel. After the clutch was installed, it would chatter.
I showed them a copy of the FSM(factory service manual) where it said not to machine the flywheel that I got from TJKJ.
They said they would do the work for free if I bought the new flywheel, so I did. After the second job, a few weeks down the road it was chattering again, and making grinding noises(worse when running the A/C). They didn't warranty the work because I supplied my own clutch.
Now, Im stuck with a chattering, noisy, sloppy clutch until I do the job myself. And just recently, it makes a crazy "belt slipping" type sound when cold starting in the morning only. Im figuring the machined flywheel warped the new clutch, now I have a good flywheel, I hope, and a bad clutch...once again.:pp:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya that is a tough pill to swallow. Sorry to hear about this experience.
When it comes to shops now a days, I first always look for certified licensed mechanics, and certificates displayed.
When it comes to Jeeps, unfortunately the dealership knows the product best, and generally do the best work at a higher cost. Then you do get original parts and labour guaranteed should it all go wrong.
As mentioned a good ****** shop or the dealer would be best to sort this mess out.
Doing it yourself is an option, if you are capable, with the right tools. I am sure one of us could send you the FSM section on clutch, which would point you in the right direction. What year KJ do you have?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try Google: "2003 Jeep Liberty Factory Service Manual download "
and browse the clutch section on the pdf

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the clutch may not be warped, you may just have hot spots on the clutch disc. Is the clutch a rebuilt unit? Did you buy it at Pep Boys?

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New OEM was the right thing to buy... Rebuilt clutches only work if it's a quality company doing them and I am out of the loop and don't know of any these days. I remember dealing with bad rebuilts I worked at Pep Boys in the early to mid 90s. I am not sure if the installer ruined the clutch (yet) - he may not have kept everything clean on re-assembly.

Latest posts

Members online