Annoying oil leak / smoke....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -- I have an '03 Liberty LE with about 117K on it. Great car...been rock solid.

In any case, for the past 6 months I've noticed a strong smell and whitish smoke after driving the car for a few minutes and stopping at a stoplight. I had trouble pinpointing it but felt like it was coming from the coolant reservoir. I kept my eye on the fluid level and it never changed so I left things as is and just dealt with it.

Not too long ago, I finally was able to observe the smoking first hand and it is coming from the O2 sensor / pre-cat area on the passenger side. I assumed I had a really slow coolant leak (since smoke was white) and it was hitting the pipe causing the smoke. I needed a radiator flush/fill so I took it to the dealer and asked them to look for leaks to try and pinpoint the smoke. They said it was it wasn't the coolant system...rather the passenger valve cover gasket and gave an estimate of $425 or so.

So, this weekend I changed the valve cover gasket myself using the directions posted here. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47743

I was able to change the gasket successfully (but what a pain getting that valve cover out!). After starting the car, still get smoke! Now, it is possible that there are some remnants or something like that but I feel like the gasket was not the problem and there is a really slow leak somewhere else on the back of the block or on the passenger side. I can't really see where it is coming from....

Any other ideas?

Dlux

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove my covers too so unfortunately I have no idea. I have a question though. How in the world did you get the breather hose off without breaking it?

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which breather hose? They all came off very easily. The only hose that was clamped that I removed was to the coolant overflow tank.

If there are no clamps and the hose simply seems "seized" on, you could always try and slip a small flathead screwdriver in and try and work it around the circumference of the hose.

The only thing I ended up breaking was a small vacuum line that from the cruise control module. I think it was a vacuum line because when it broke, I heard a hiss. It wasn't your typical rubber hose...it was more of a plastic. In any case, definitely remove the cruise control servo to give you more space to remove the pass. valve cover.

johnnyeos3

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue, white smoke I changed valve cover gasket to no avail. U ever determine what issue was?

PWB

Reaction score
Annoying oil leak / smoke

Did you ever figure it out? I have the exact same problem, it looks like the oxygen sensor is the culprit.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, the issue was 100% the passenger side valve gasket. Oil was dripping down onto the o2 sensor area.

After replacing it and washing down the area (if you don't you still may get some residual smoke for a short period of time), everything was back to normal. I didn't bother changing the driver's side gasket. I just chucked the new one in a drawer for if and when that ever starts to leak.

Members online