Aluminum Trany Pan in development - Please Read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieselenthusiast

Reaction score
I’ve been working with PML www.yourcovers.com in building an aluminum transmission pan for the Jeep Liberty 42RLE. I have sent them pictures and other information to help assist them with the design. Our goal is to make the transmission pan work with the OE skid plate. So far, here is the information that I have:

The price range will be from $210 - $230 dollars in the as-cast finish. The aluminum trany pan will include mounting hardware, magnetic drain plug, and a boss for a temp sensor.

For obvious reasons, PML is wanting to make sure that there is a market for the aluminum transmission pan. I would like to know how many of you at sometime or another would buy a transmission pan as described above and at the price listed above. The design process has already started.

The advantages of an Aluminum Transmission Pan.

1. A deeper pan will hold more fluid, thus providing more cooling
2. The Aluminum pan and fins would greatly reduce transmission temperatures
3. The magnetic drain plug would capture metal shavings, keeping your fluid clean
4. The drain plug would allow for easy drain intervals without having to remove the pan
5. A temperature sending unit would allow you to monitor transmission temperatures
6. Reducing trany temperatures would prolong the life of your transmission and trany fluid
7. Perfect for towing and off-roading

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good to except, i dont like the idea of a deeper pan unless it wont get in the way of body armor. those without armor underneath might get hung on something or hit a tree branch in the road.

other than that, ild be willing to pay $170 for it, but no more than that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$230 is a bit much for a ****** pan.

Its possible I would buy one just so I could easily monitor the ****** temps. Always wanted to do that. :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Neat idea, but not for someone who likes to rip along a non paved road.
Even with amour underneath, all it takes is one brutal hit to a "skid plate" and the skid plate to pound the ****** pan and crack the aluminum ****** pan... (steel flexes, aluminum does not, it just cracks!) Been there done that in another make/ model with very costly consequences too the tune of tens of thousands of dollars to the whole power plant/ gearbox/ differential.
Sorry, good for a show car with mirrors underneath for display proposes.
Besides, having somebody else (If you cannot do it yourself.) weld in a bung for a temperature sender shouldn't cost you more than a two-four of real beer and a twenty-sixer of liquor at a reputable shop!
If not, your not building your car right!
You are just a "Barney Bolt On":D

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the idea but I am afraid of the aluminum. Right now with the OEM skid I have if I hit the wrong thing just right it will bend up but hit a steel ****** pan that might just bend instead of an aluminum one that will just break.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I love the idea but I am afraid of the aluminum. Right now with the OEM skid I have if I hit the wrong thing just right it will bend up but hit a steel ****** pan that might just bend instead of an aluminum one that will just break.

Dave

Exactly!

A local tool retailer who also sells automotive restoration parts sells a small block Chevy Aluminum oil pan and an aluminum transmission fluid pan "polished" for $69.99 and on special for two days for $59.99!
Why would I spend $230.00 for a Jeep KJ?
Talk about a waste of money.
Better off using that towards a lift, off road lights, bumper/winch Mount, etc.
Best suited to a mall crawler if you ask me.
If you want transmission cooling, fit a proper transmission cooler.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly!

A local tool retailer who also sells automotive restoration parts sells a small block Chevy Aluminum oil pan and an aluminum transmission fluid pan "polished" for $69.99 and on special for two days for $59.99!
Why would I spend $230.00 for a Jeep KJ?
Talk about a waste of money.
Better off using that towards a lift, off road lights, bumper/winch Mount, etc.
Best suited to a mall crawler if you ask me.
If you want transmission cooling, fit a proper transmission cooler.
The turbo 350 or turbo 400 have been around for like 30 years,when the alloy pans 1st came out for them they where $300+.Initial high cost has to cover R&D time and to pay for the cast.If enough 42RLE trans pans are sold the price will drop.The price alos has alot to do with the type of aluminum used,PML will use a very high quality aluminum where some of the other company's will use the cheap stuff which accounts for alot of the cost differeance.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
The turbo 350 or turbo 400 have been around for like 30 years,when the alloy pans 1st came out for them they where $300+.Initial high cost has to cover R&D time and to pay for the cast.If enough 42RLE trans pans are sold the price will drop.The price alos has alot to do with the type of aluminum used,PML will use a very high quality aluminum where some of the other company's will use the cheap stuff which accounts for alot of the cost differeance.

Yeah, and at the end of the day, $230.00 US dollars is too much money for a aluminum fluid pan for a Mini van transmission. Also, considering that most KJ owners are "Soccer moms" and that we here are the exception.
Money best spent else where on a KJ.

Oh, I realize that that alloy pan is obviously made of high quality aluminum. If it wasn't, it would be a real rip off!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and at the end of the day, $230.00 US dollars is too much money for a aluminum fluid pan for a Mini van transmission. Also, considering that most KJ owners are "Soccer moms" and that we here are the exception.
Money best spent else where on a KJ.

Oh, I realize that that alloy pan is obviously made of high quality aluminum. If it wasn't, it would be a real rip off!
More then just KJ's use the same 42RLE,there's a few million TJ's and now JK's using the same ******.

Latest posts

Members online