Aluminium wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been working on getting my fiance's '02 Liberty fixed up. Finally got the EVAP hoses fixed and that pesky check engine light off. The transmission also hasn't been giving us any more trouble, which is always a good thing. I've got new hub/bearing assemblies to put on the front as soon as the weather cooperates and we're shopping for new tires. Eventually I'm going to redo the suspension and get it back to stock height. Anyway, I'm wanting to ditch the crappy steel wheels and chrome covers for a set of stock aluminum ones. Preferably from the '04-'06 range I think. Want to stay at 16". I'm not looking to get all fancy with this thing, just fix it up some and get it looking good and going good. May take it on some light trails, but nothing serious. A small lift may be in it's future as well, but that's a long way off if so. Anyone know of any place online that sells used wheels at a decent price? Found a set on eBay for $300 plus shipping. That's the best price I can find. Haven't been able to get out to the junk yards yet as it's just been too damned cold and I hate the cold. Thanks in advance for any help.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redoing the suspension is the same cost as lifting with a better ride quality. And welcome to the forum always glad to have another KJer.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate the help. So it would be more economical to go ahead with the lift? I don't want to spend $$$ on it. Also not interested in anything huge. I'm going to post on Craigslist ISO and see if I get any hits. Hopefully I can find a set of wheels at a reasonable price. Surely someone somewhere has swapped out their wheels for something custom.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Where in Ky. are you? I am in Frankfort. Have 4 stock steel wheels and center caps.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also from the morehead area. Nice to see a fellow jeeper is in my area!

Ive never seen a kj in a junk yard in this area so idk how much luck youll have there.

Last edited:

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also from the morehead area. Nice to see a fellow jeeper is in my area!

Ive never seen a kj in a junk yard in this area so idk how much luck youll have there.

Yeah, there are several KJs running around here. I've pointed a few out to my fiancé and said, "see? That's what I'd like this one to look like." Lol. Ours is the black one that looks plain and has a dented hood (she hit a deer with it a while back). As far as junk yards go, I know of several in Ashland that are a lot bigger than the ones around here. Probably start there.

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the EVAP hoses fixed and that pesky check engine light off.

what did you do? i have the same issues. was thinking of putting vasoline on the hoses in little sections to see where the code goes away at

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did you do? i have the same issues. was thinking of putting vasoline on the hoses in little sections to see where the code goes away at

It literally took me years to finally find the culprit hoses. First started out with a leaky hose right under the drivers door that would whistle really loud when you started it up. Found it pretty quick. Cleared the light and it came back. Next, I crawled under the rear of the jeep while it was running and felt around for the sucking sound to change. Finally found a short piece of rubber connecting hose between 2 plastic hard lines. Cleared the code, then it came back. Crawled under it again and found about a 2 foot long piece of rubber hose coming off the leak detection pump that was badly cracked on both ends. Picked up a length of plain hose from auto zone and replaced. Cleared the code and it hasn't come back since. Longest it's been off since I've been around the jeep.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last junk yard I was at (this was way back in November...sorry!) had at least a couple of them here in Jersey. I just forget the name of the place now... >.<

It may or may not have been this place here:

Contact Midway Auto Parts of Williamstown, NJ

Give em a call and see if they have em and they might be willing to ship them. Else I might be able to for you if you make it worth my while....!

The reason I know they had em was because I saw them on my way out of the place, and thought about picking one up since one of mine has a good bend in it.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last junk yard I was at (this was way back in November...sorry!) had at least a couple of them here in Jersey. I just forget the name of the place now... >.<

It may or may not have been this place here:

Contact Midway Auto Parts of Williamstown, NJ

Give em a call and see if they have em and they might be willing to ship them. Else I might be able to for you if you make it worth my while....!

The reason I know they had em was because I saw them on my way out of the place, and thought about picking one up since one of mine has a good bend in it.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna check locally first. If its a bust ill give them a call.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What junk yards are you checking? Id like to see if they have any 4cyl kj's.

I'm skipping the ones close by first. Gonna start in the Ashland area. My cousins own Townhill Motors in Greenup. I've had good luck out of Scoutline in Ashland and mixed luck with Newsomes. I've never even dealt with any around Morehead.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to ditch the aluminum wheels idea. Got to looking at the current wheels on there (steel with chrome covers) and realized they are exactly the same as the painted steel wheels that came on some Libertys. So, I've already ordered a set of center caps (all 4 for $25) and I'm going to paint these things black and get rid of those ugly wheel covers. Just can't decide if I want to go ahead and do it, or wait until after I get new tires on it. I know for sure that the paint will get scratched while having the tires replaced, but touching it up wouldn't be a problem. Any tips on painting these things?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to ditch the aluminum wheels idea. Got to looking at the current wheels on there (steel with chrome covers) and realized they are exactly the same as the painted steel wheels that came on some Libertys. So, I've already ordered a set of center caps (all 4 for $25) and I'm going to paint these things black and get rid of those ugly wheel covers. Just can't decide if I want to go ahead and do it, or wait until after I get new tires on it. I know for sure that the paint will get scratched while having the tires replaced, but touching it up wouldn't be a problem. Any tips on painting these things?

Do a good sanding, and remove the wheel weights if you're painting the edge. I didn't paint the edge of mine. I left the edge silver just like the 6-spoke renegade wheels. Do it on a hot, non humid day. You'll be fine. :)

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a good sanding, and remove the wheel weights if you're painting the edge. I didn't paint the edge of mine. I left the edge silver just like the 6-spoke renegade wheels. Do it on a hot, non humid day. You'll be fine. :)

Thanks for the tips. Any brand/type of paint you'd recommend? I know different people have different results with different paints.