Alternator Clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost every time I slow to a stop or take off from a stop there are a couple of seconds where I hear this shuttering sound (like gears try to engage but the clutch is not quite out yet). I took it to the stealership and they told me it was the "Alternator clutch." I checked and it does sounds like it is coming right from the alternator.

Is there a specific part that is the alternator clutch?

Should I try to fix/replace it?

Should I buy a different alternator? New or refurb?

Any tips/suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
There is no "clutch" on the Alternator, only on the A/C compressor. The person that told you alternator clutch (if you heard it right), is an idiot.

If it is the alternator, you will have to buy another unit; there are some REAL cheap ones on Ebay, as low as 35.00 in guaranteed working condition.

If it is the A/C compressor, well, best just to replace it, check EBAY, there are lots of compatible models.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
All 05+ KJs have a one-way bearing on the alternator pulley. If it's fried, it's time for a new alternator, unfortunately.

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend picking up a used 02-4 alternator, to see if everything bolts up the same, and if so, buy a new one (because you don't know the history on the used one you just bought, and you can resell on fleabay:)) and if not, bite the bullet and just buy a new alternator specific for your vehicle.

ITBJRC, aside from the one way bearing, there is no difference between the '02-4s and 05-6s. 07s hook up in a different manner, electrically.

L

lil black liberty

I would recommend if you want a new one and some power I'd get a MeanGreen Alternator.. They are pretty sweet and can be custom built directly for your KJ how many ever amps you need.. but they have a Direct fit one thats 200 amps for the KJ here's the link..http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What purpose does that one way bearing on the newer alternators serve? Never even heard about them having something like that before.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly it's supposed to let the alternator "Wind down" at its own pace rather than being at the mercy of the engine, and it helps continue charging when there is a sudden decrease in engine speed (IE, getting off the interestate and letting off the gas, where the engine almost immediately goes from 2500-3000 to 800 rpm)

No, the clutch/coupler/whatever you wanna call it by itself is not replaceable. Been like that on the majority of 2003+ Chrysler vehicles (started with the 2003 Hemi Ram, the 4.7s and 3.7s in the Rams didn't get it until 2006...all Pacificas and 05+ Caravan/Town&Countrys have it, all the LX platform cars, etc)

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a used one on ebay. It supposedly came out of a lib with 21k miles on it. Came with a lifetime warranty and free shipping for a whopping $40. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok i see, it lets the alternator free-wheel.. Didn't know they did that on some vehicles, man stuff changes.

Thanks for the explanation!

damo4runner

Reaction score
Ummmm sorry if I am wrong but the Altenator decoupler pulley is replaceable if it is shagged on the CRD altenators the LOST CRD Forum has a thread on how to do it and even states the part number. Should cost about 60-80 US dollars using an air wrench is the easiest way to remove the pulley moparpartsonline has the pulley. I know cause I am about to order one for mine (03 model) if your interested IAT-USA make the pulleys.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to look. Might as well check to see if the PN with the CRD bearing and the 05+ gasser bearing is the same. It could save the guy some bucks.

All ThunderbirdJunkie knows is it is not offered in the aftermarket as a solution, and the dealer did not seem to know wtf he was talking about when he asked.

damo4runner

Reaction score
Part number is 53013554 AE that is the latest part number for the Altenator decoupler pulley off the CRD same part though the entire 2.8 range

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replys! I'm going to attempt to replace the alternator tonight (see previous thread to see what I ended up going with).

Maybe I'll find an alternator replacement thread...or start one

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no "clutch" on the Alternator, only on the A/C compressor. The person that told you alternator clutch (if you heard it right), is an idiot.

If it is the alternator, you will have to buy another unit; there are some REAL cheap ones on Ebay, as low as 35.00 in guaranteed working condition.

If it is the A/C compressor, well, best just to replace it, check EBAY, there are lots of compatible models.

Hmm I posted that and then deleted it because I thought that maybe the CRD had something that I didn't know about...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

LOL you have a clutch on your alternator, unless yours is different from the 3 or 4 million other 05+ Libertys and other Chrysler products running around
(kneel)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I do NOT have a clutch on the Alternator, I have one on the A/C compressor. The alternator, a regular pulley, there is no decoupler on it. You can see my engine bay right here:
attachment.php

Does that look like a Decoupler to you?