Alternator clutch/freewheel defect???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dopus

Reaction score
New problems with my brother jepp kj crd 2.8, and by the way thanks for all the help to find out why the roof lights did not work, a new rooflight switch( it has a relay buildt in) fixed that problem.

Now the jeep will not charge the battery, I think I have found the problem. I think it is the the alternator freewheel clutch/pulley, I have never replaced one like this before...but i belive it should rotate freely only one way...not both.

Here is a video of it: this freeewheel must be broken ????

[YT]djyqP_xpdIM[/YT]

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes replace that pulley. I purchased mine from an ebay vendor, but you can get it at the Jeep dealer too. It is best to use a pneumatic impact wrench to remove and install it. They do have special tools for it but it was easy with an impact wrench and the proper Allen socket.
My pulley did not fail in that manner, the clutch within it just became noisy, so I replaced it.
good luck with it;
Jeff

dopus

Reaction score
I do have an impact wrench..so that should not be a problem.

I found a freewheel/clutch for it on a webshop in my country..not to bad price... around 60$ the local autoparts store wanted 300$ for the wheel, but my brother can be without the car a couple of days...if that means saving over 200$.

Thanks for the help.

Blackota

Reaction score
I've just changed mine 2 weeks ago...

That pulley has a spring inside which takes over the torque from the belt.
My spring was broken in several pieces but it stayed in place and worked. I noticed it was something wrong because of the noise it made.

The spring is held in place by a plastic ring, molded on the spring's shape.
When that brakes too, the exterior of the pulley (with the belt on it) doesn't drive the interior (with the alternator's shaft) so the alternator won't work.

The easiest way to change is with a pneumatic impact wrench.

My spare part supplier found two pulleys, a Brazilian one at ~50-60 USD and the 'original', Canadian INA part at ~110USD.