Already been asked?.... re: suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sheloki77

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to posting, been lurking for a few years. Figured I might as well join!
My first question is: Do people get pissy when a newbie asks a question that's already been asked?
I sure hope not, because it's tedious as hell to search through all the answers.

I have a 2007 Lib with a 2.5" skyjacker lift. It sits at 21" rear and front from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender.
Has anyone ever dealt with Skyjacker re: their lifetime warranty? My shocks are shot and they want me to pay for shipping from Wa State to Alabama AND replace my stuff with their overpriced crap just so they can MAYBE reimburse me. The guy at Skyjacker said I should have got more than 60k miles out of their shocks/struts. Of course the dealer I bought the kit from has to be the one to send the bad parts. He (dealer) is suggesting I forget the possible warranty and let him put Fox brand stuff on. Says it will be a better deal than even if Skyjacker reimburses me because Fox is a high quality brand and no shipping cost.
For reference: I have a 5 year old Skyjacker Platinum series Linear Coil suspension system that included the Nitro shocks. Rear shock p/n N8088, front strut p/n 9050S (but that's just the innards, not the big spring thing) The 2 guys I talked to about doing the work seemed to have a hard time finding replacement shocks because of the lift. WTH?

So questions include: Skyjacker warranty? Life of those shocks?
Fox brand - pros & cons
Do I need to replace the springs on the fronts? Or just
the gas shock inside?
Is he gonna be able to fit another brand shock alright
or will he have to use a stock sized shock and a
spacer? Is that ok to do? Why or why not?
Do you think $500 for front AND rear installed is a fair
price?
I'm no shrinking violet, but I am a female and don't want to get gouged on price because they think I don't know the difference. Thanks a bunch for all helpful answers. Please be nice!

Sheloki77

Reaction score
Hmm I think I was just supposed to introduce myself here, not ask a bunch of questions.... OOPS! Should I put this in the correct category?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FIRST WELCOME
Second very sorry that you bought Skycrapper
They did back in 03-04 have a great lift for the KJs, but that all went away and now spring rate is same as stock
Bad part weak springs causes shocks to over work, thus wearing out springs and shocks
THEN guess what you can only replace the front shocks with skyjacker OH BOY I get to spend more money on skycrapper parts
Where as like OME you can basically use any other shock in the world although we only recommend OME or Bilstein
If you want a good replacement go OME all the way 927 front springs and 948 rear with either OME or Bilstein shocks, we can provide numbers etc . We've installed about 50 OME lifts on Libertys here and no complaints
NOW if you want the best jeepinbyal has the best system in the world in his adjustable coilovers, nothing better but more expensive. JBA also handles OME products as well
More info , just ask, been lifting these for over 13 years
By the way where do you live ( state wise ) we've done lifts for folks in an 7 state area ( around Ohio )
Some shops do not have a clue at all when it comes to lifting a Liberty

OH WAIT Washington State I see and many of us have been answering the same question for like well, 13-14 years

Sheloki77

Reaction score
Thanks, Tom! Yes, skyjacker.... My EX picked it out. I didn't know any better. I have to say it rode better than stock, but 5 years later it's failing.
Everyone keeps telling me it's not necessary to replace the front springs, just the shocks inside. I think that's where most of my confusion is coming from, and theirs too, I think, because of the lift. When you just google struts for jeep liberty, it brings up a package deal with inner shock and outer spring. I'm thinking might as well replace it all if gonna do it, they keep arguing.
Thanks for all the info!
I appreciate you all!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom! Yes, skyjacker.... My EX picked it out. I didn't know any better. I have to say it rode better than stock, but 5 years later it's failing.
Everyone keeps telling me it's not necessary to replace the front springs, just the shocks inside. I think that's where most of my confusion is coming from, and theirs too, I think, because of the lift. When you just google struts for jeep liberty, it brings up a package deal with inner shock and outer spring. I'm thinking might as well replace it all if gonna do it, they keep arguing.
Thanks for all the info!
I appreciate you all!

Yes you must replace both, reason age plus weak springs to begin with . For example stock is 310 lb in front, skyjacker is the same, OME 927 fronts are 400 lb so carries more weight better etc and will last longer. I've personally ran OME 927s over 100,000 miles
The rear uses coil springs as well.
So with age, weakness from the get go etc, you need to replace all 4 springs and shocks .
Like I stated before most shops etc have no clue how to lift a Liberty let alone give good advice
So don't listen to them new springs and shocks on all 4 corners

Finnfrock

Reaction score
I have a set of medium and heavy duty OME rear springs just sitting if you are interested.
In looking for rear ome 948 springs...got the 927 front already also looking for shocks and struts to complete suspension if you have any leads

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk