Aloha from Iowa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time Jeep owner (1967 CJ, 1997 TJ, now 2002 KJ), long time lurker here, finally got time to introduce myself (also creator of long sentences). Over the past year I have found a lot of helpful and useful information on this site.

Current Jeep is a 2002 Liberty KJ Limited that I purchased in September 2021. I love road trips and exploring the gravel/back country roads, so the current plan is to keep the KJ in a condition that is at home on highway as off. Current changes have been limited to cosmetic ones while I build a list of things I"ve done, want to do, or modifications that sound like they may be helpful.

Changes I've made to the KJ so far: black grille, new/used OEM multi-switch, replaced/relocated AM/FM antenna, and Omac cross bars (mainly for carrying fishing poles short distances and eventually a test cargo basket).

Changes I'm currently working on: all terrain tires, installing an OEM roof light switch to wire in KC drive lights (write ups on here for both routing the wiring and mounting the lights have been very helpful), and a class III trailer hitch (for rear tow/recovery point).

Still researching into metal shackles vs soft shackles, tow straps, and potentially adding a tail gate table or MOLLE panel.

Looking forward to being able to interact with and potentially meet up with other KJ owners.

Attachments

• 677268443.jpg
    677268443.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 4

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aloha from Alaska!

Where did you relocate your antenna to?
Hi!

I used the Firestik from my TJ (looks like a CB antenna but is turned for AM/FM) with one of their M-2 side mount kits to locate it towards the lower rear corner of the passenger side rear window. Local audio shop took care of routing the cables for me (I'm not used to working on a Jeep with interior trim panels).

Attachments

• IMG950208.jpg
    IMG950208.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 11

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

I never owned a cj (yet!) but had two tj's.

I like the idea and look of the antenna in the back!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Long time Jeep owner (1967 CJ, 1997 TJ, now 2002 KJ), long time lurker here, finally got time to introduce myself (also creator of long sentences). Over the past year I have found a lot of helpful and useful information on this site.

Current Jeep is a 2002 Liberty KJ Limited that I purchased in September 2021. I love road trips and exploring the gravel/back country roads, so the current plan is to keep the KJ in a condition that is at home on highway as off. Current changes have been limited to cosmetic ones while I build a list of things I"ve done, want to do, or modifications that sound like they may be helpful.

Changes I've made to the KJ so far: black grille, new/used OEM multi-switch, replaced/relocated AM/FM antenna, and Omac cross bars (mainly for carrying fishing poles short distances and eventually a test cargo basket).

Changes I'm currently working on: all terrain tires, installing an OEM roof light switch to wire in KC drive lights (write ups on here for both routing the wiring and mounting the lights have been very helpful), and a class III trailer hitch (for rear tow/recovery point).

Still researching into metal shackles vs soft shackles, tow straps, and potentially adding a tail gate table or MOLLE panel.

Looking forward to being able to interact with and potentially meet up with other KJ owners.
Ahoy from Nebraska. My build thread has all sorts of stuff you are interested in. Including links and prices.

As for recovery equipment, the answer depends on what you are doing. Straps, kinetic rope, hard and soft shackles are all for different situations. I carry them all.

I find most of the popular MOLLE stuff to be trendy, overpriced
garbage. I posted reviews of various alternatives you might find useful in the reviews section and in my build thread.
I assure you, If I reviewed it, it has been tested in a variety of conditions.

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahoy from Nebraska. My build thread has all sorts of stuff you are interested in. Including links and prices.

As for recovery equipment, the answer depends on what you are doing. Straps, kinetic rope, hard and soft shackles are all for different situations. I carry them all.

I find most of the popular MOLLE stuff to be trendy, overpriced
garbage. I posted reviews of various alternatives you might find useful in the reviews section and in my build thread.
I assure you, If I reviewed it, it has been tested in a variety of conditions.
Your "Honestly Brutal Review #5 Maxxhaul 46" Class Basket Style Roof Rack and Unbranded Crossbars" was actually a deciding factor in my getting the bars I have and that basket is on my To-Do list. Given the amount of cargo space in my KJ vs my TJ I"m wasn't 100% sure on whether or not I even wanted crossbars other than potentially water sports, so I figured I'd give those ones a try. Right now I don't see a need for anything heavy duty (big brands) so the price on those was "just right".

Your "3rd Window Cabinet Conversion" also has me looking into ideas.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Your "Honestly Brutal Review #5 Maxxhaul 46" Class Basket Style Roof Rack and Unbranded Crossbars" was actually a deciding factor in my getting the bars I have and that basket is on my To-Do list. Given the amount of cargo space in my KJ vs my TJ I"m wasn't 100% sure on whether or not I even wanted crossbars other than potentially water sports, so I figured I'd give those ones a try. Right now I don't see a need for anything heavy duty (big brands) so the price on those was "just right".

Your "3rd Window Cabinet Conversion" also has me looking into ideas.
Yeah, I gotta get the window conversion done...just haven't had the time.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As you are aware, there is great information throughout this forum. Regarding your Class III receiver, there was a recall where Jeep installed these no charge. I thought it was for all of the KJs but could be mistaken. You can check outstanding recalls on the Mopar website.

Latest posts

Members online