Alloys vs Steel Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwmir

Reaction score
Which type of rims are better for light off-road and highway travel; alloys or steel (chrome/painted) rims? I am planning on going with 245/75/R16 or 245/70/R16 tires for my stock KJ. No lift installation planned.

Please advise.

KM KJ

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as type goes I can't help you (that's something I was wondering myself). But I can tell you that 245/70R16's are what you're going with unless you want the tires to rub.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel wheels are heavier and bite down harder in the mud because of the rotational force.

Alloys spin faster and bite lighter because of the lighter weight.

So its a toss up for what you want.

kwmir

Reaction score
Fuel Consump

I don't want the fuel economy to go downhill due to heavier rims and tires. Its nt like I'm getting great mileage anyway.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its up to you, but personally the 1MPG difference is not the concern.

It will be the lack of power, from the heavier wheels, its not a lot but you will notice it if youve driven your jeep more than a month or so.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Its up to you, but personally the 1MPG difference is not the concern.

It will be the lack of power, from the heavier wheels, its not a lot but you will notice it if youve driven your jeep more than a month or so.
I'll take the added fuel efficiency and power for $500, Alex. \:D/