All Aluminum Radiators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber " baffles " are what channel the air into the radiator going down the road, should really be in there.
Agreed.. They look unpleasant to install, done em before?

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys with hood vents (or wanting to install them), do your under-hood temps really get THAT high that they are necessary? Or is it half functionality and half they look cool?

Serious question- I've personally never had overheating issues on my KJ, all stock cooling.

They made a noticeable difference in my a/c running cooler on the hot days. I also noticed the engine being cooled off faster after sitting since the excess heat had somewhere to escape more easily.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They made a noticeable difference in my a/c running cooler on the hot days. I also noticed the engine being cooled off faster after sitting since the excess heat had somewhere to escape more easily.

Good to hear; I see so many vehicles where hood vents/louvers were installed that are either non-functional or installed in such a way as to be rendered nearly useless. Interesting to note that in this case, they do perform adequately.

I had always thought that some sort of low-profile cowl vent would work well, venting hot air as the vehicle moved forwards, assisting in defrosting the exterior of the windshield as well in winter months.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I shift mine into 4lo for pretty much anything above a dirt road, that helps keep temps down too.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear; I see so many vehicles where hood vents/louvers were installed that are either non-functional or installed in such a way as to be rendered nearly useless. Interesting to note that in this case, they do perform adequately.

I had always thought that some sort of low-profile cowl vent would work well, venting hot air as the vehicle moved forwards, assisting in defrosting the exterior of the windshield as well in winter months.

I placed my vents directly above the exhaust manifolds.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum is dangerous for my wallet. Going to see how my radiator holds up before I pickup a mopar/all aluminum. I am definitely leaning mopar if this one doesn't work out, but if the price on the all aluminum drops below 200 I may give it a shot.

Before I started reading posts both here and lostjeeps, I never would have considered spending the extra money on upgrading mine to HD cooling. Sure, its a good idea since I live in Vegas, but I would have been oblivious and just swap in a new radiator and be done.

Now I am looking at hood louvers very seriously, and considering 4.10's (265/65/17's killing my freeway accel. and mpg).

Thank you all for the advice and input.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum is dangerous for my wallet. Going to see how my radiator holds up before I pickup a mopar/all aluminum. I am definitely leaning mopar if this one doesn't work out, but if the price on the all aluminum drops below 200 I may give it a shot.

Before I started reading posts both here and lostjeeps, I never would have considered spending the extra money on upgrading mine to HD cooling. Sure, its a good idea since I live in Vegas, but I would have been oblivious and just swap in a new radiator and be done.

Now I am looking at hood louvers very seriously, and considering 4.10's (265/65/17's killing my freeway accel. and mpg).

A high quality all aluminum radiator for a KJ will run about $700+,it will have to be custom made.Griffin will make you one,I was quoted $700 years ago.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score

4.10's were my favorite mod after the lift.:gr_grin:

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I live in a super warm climate. I have had the aluminium rad for 2 months now. first- it holds 1 litre of coolant more than the stock mopar unit (as measured).

second- it cools better - i have 2 sensors measuring head and block temp - we are metric - but on a dyno run under the exact same conditions- head temp is 10 degrees celsius lower than stock rad. block is 7 degrees lower. (its a dyno run- not street driving- same day.).

third- it is not a top quality product as far as fit and finish go. i mean the made in china stuff. on my previous cars i had american made 3 row radiators but no such luck with the liberty. when we fitted it some bolt holes did not fit. when the AC condenser had to be fitted i found that the bolt hole on the new rad is 3/8 inch to the left from where it should be.

other than that- i am happy with it.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice one!! So you rivet them in? Also they don't leak?

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose to use stainless button head bolts instead of the supplied rivets.

Of course they leak,they are functional and 2 big holes cut into the hood with no hood insulation.
I LOL'd at this in the store haha,

So that obviously means there are no problems with water getting in over the manifolds, maybe just a problem if water gets past the coil packs right?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I LOL'd at this in the store haha,

So that obviously means there are no problems with water getting in over the manifolds, maybe just a problem if water gets past the coil packs right?

Never had a issue with water getting under the coils and those vents have been installed for 7-8 years and I don't have a garage.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i need a little help. i posted about repairing the stock radiator. which sounds like its not going to work. then tonight, i ran across this, which i am GLAD i did. because i was considering an ebay all aluminum radiator. which sounds like a bad idea. so all this talk about hood vents (while it will not fix the plastic of my radiator) REALLY piques my interest. i tried searching for photos of hood vents (along with a couple of other searches)in the media section, but it came back with no results. so i must need a tutorial on how to search for photos here. because i am NOT motivated to look thru 600+ pages of photos to find anything!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, i need a little help. i posted about repairing the stock radiator. which sounds like its not going to work. then tonight, i ran across this, which i am GLAD i did. because i was considering an ebay all aluminum radiator. which sounds like a bad idea. so all this talk about hood vents (while it will not fix the plastic of my radiator) REALLY piques my interest. i tried searching for photos of hood vents (along with a couple of other searches)in the media section, but it came back with no results. so i must need a tutorial on how to search for photos here. because i am NOT motivated to look thru 600+ pages of photos to find anything!

I use Pontiac GTP hood louvers
Have had them on two of my XJs, and on the 04
Have a set now for the 03 as well
Pictures of mine on here and LOSTJEEPs somewhere

also have installed ones on other friends as well
My buddy Chris mounted his too far near the center and always had to cover the motor every time it rained