Alignment Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well like I said, I'm gonna take it to Applehill 4x4 on monday...i was going to have them do the lift originally, but once i saw it wasnt that hard, i decided to do it myself. It's gonna cost me another $90 for an alignment, but hopefully itll be done correctly. Also as a sidenote....is anyone elses front shock/coil closer to the body on the driver side than it is on the passenger side?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Also as a sidenote....is anyone elses front shock/coil closer to the body on the driver side than it is on the passenger side?
Right there is the cradle being shifted to one side to much.

To bad the newer KJ's don't have the centering bolts for the cradle anymore like the '02's did,made the job of centering the cradle a super easy job.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the cradle adjustment at tj?

Have to loosen up the cradle its self to move it

Yep you loosen the 4 cradle mount bolts,about 2 turns each,while the KJ is supported on jack stands(or the like) at the front lift points.Then take a large prybar and go in-between the body and cradle and move it to the desired spot,then retorque the cradle mount bolts.100lbs-ft for the front 2(M14 bolts) and 80lbs-ft for the rear 2(M12 bolts).

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right there is the cradle being shifted to one side to much.

To bad the newer KJ's don't have the centering bolts for the cradle anymore like the '02's did,made the job of centering the cradle a super easy job.

Did just the 02s have it?

I bet mine's off too.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying that the cradle effects both sides. So in theory if I've got the driver side at +1.6 cam and the pass is at -0.1 cam, adjusting the cradle would make my drivers side go more negative, and the pass more pos?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying that the cradle effects both sides. So in theory if I've got the driver side at +1.6 cam and the pass is at -0.1 cam, adjusting the cradle would make my drivers side go more negative, and the pass more pos?

Yes.

If you do this can you take notes and let us know how you did? I think it should be checked if you are lifting. It would make alignment a lot easier I think. I'd like to check mine, but how can you really measure to see if it is centered? I guess you could measure the shock's distance from the body or something like that.

Seems easy the way tjkj explained. I'd like to see someone do it.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it definitely makes sense now that i know about this cradle issue..because my driver side shock is closer to the body, and i've got positive camber...however..the difference is only about 1/4inch if that...but i'm sure thats enough to set those cam degrees off quite a bit...i'm definitely going to look into this...where can i find these cradle bolts...thats my only question haha

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawled up under and was still unable to find this. However i did notice that my track bar (proper term?) has shifted about 1/4 inch. This would make sense for my alignment issues...correct?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawled up under and was still unable to find this. However i did notice that my track bar (proper term?) has shifted about 1/4 inch. This would make sense for my alignment issues...correct?
No trackbar on your KJ,not unless you went SFA.That pic is from when I was fabbing the new mounts,you have the full cradle under there still which looks like the one in the pic below,just look at the corners and you will see the bolts.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
85% of the lifts I have done to date the drivers side springs are just a little closer than the passenger sides.
02 was the only year for the centering bolt they had, which made it easy to do
If you look at the cradle you can plainly see the 4 bolts

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes i see now. So just losen those four corner bolts...pry it to one side...tighten back down...then attempt another alignment?

the bar i was referring to would be the one in this ( http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f225/steering-geometry-42248/ ) thread towards the bottom. goes from under the rack...to the right and up, in and across. that has moved about 1/4 inch. What is the correct term of that?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes i see now. So just losen those four corner bolts...pry it to one side...tighten back down...then attempt another alignment?

the bar i was referring to would be the one in this ( http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f225/steering-geometry-42248/ ) thread towards the bottom. goes from under the rack...to the right and up, in and across. that has moved about 1/4 inch. What is the correct term of that?
That is the front swaybar.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Even with 16mm. of clevis lift, which translates to 1.26 inches of added lift our alignment was excellent!
Mind you the alignment was done at the local Chrysler dealership.
The mechanic who did the alignment also owns a KJ and told me he was going to do the same to his with the same amount...