Airing down tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty good write-up. I normally keep my tires inflated pretty hard (36 PSI) for street/highway use and air 'em down for the beach (about all the offroading there is in these parts.) I'm looking at getting a good air compressor to carry with me so I can deflate and fill them back up w/o going to the gas station.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a good air compressor to carry with me so I can deflate and fill them back up w/o going to the gas station.
AJ turned me onto this one: http://www.qindustries.net/products/hv_50.htm
You must be registered for see images attach

Picked one up last month at Pep Boys for $60, it'll take one of my 245/75s from 20-35psi in about five minutes. Here's a write-up on how a guy did an on-board air system with one. A little much for what I need but something I might consider in the future: http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/portable_oba/

KJ2005

Reaction score
this looks like a good, cheap, small, trail tool. I wonder if another option besides the ********* one in the link may be, to just buy a larger, but small (2-5 gal) air compressor. If there are none that are 12 volt then get a regular wal out let and buy a 12v to wall out let adapter. This would be slightly more cost but an option the requires on fabrication.

I do however like how he set up the compressor, especially just replacing the coupler so that you can attach generic part to the compressor, sometimes the fabrication is the fun.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do however like how he set up the compressor, especially just replacing the coupler so that you can attach generic part to the compressor
I liked that too, so he could run some other air-powered devices as well as airing up. I also like how he had the pressure switch hooked up to only run the compressor as needed to keep the tank topped up. Maybe sometime this winter if I get gutsy I might try fabbing up something like that, or just do a home-made CO2 cylinder portable tank deal...