Air Pressure for best performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tree_stump

Reaction score
First off, feel free to tell me to RTFM if you'd like (since I haven't looked it up yet).

I'm trying to figure out the proper air pressure for best performance... I've got an 04 Renegade and just had the oil changed, where the dealer set the air pressure in my tires to what they (apparently?) recommended - 26 PSI.

I notice a sickening slide when changing direction at highway speed, and I'm thinking this is because my pressure is ridiculously low, so I checked the tires (stock RS-As, max pressure 44) and aired up to 34 PSI.

Ride is a little stiffer (which I like), and performance is greatly improved (especially in the snow), but I'm wondering what everyone else runs at.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 40 psi in my BFG AT/KOs. Mileage is greatly improved at this pressure. 26 is way too low IMO.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I am running 45 psi in my Firestone MTs. max is 50 and so far the tire wear is very even.

But it does ride a little harder, but the softer rustys suspension makes up for it.

Bennett

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've been running 33-34 in mine. Can't complain with how that ride....only about how they handle wet roads.....sheesh they suck.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
26?! That can't be right. I keep my stock SRA's at 34 cold. I would think that your mpg would suffer at 26?

(dunno)

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 35 psi in my BFG AT/KOs... but I'm thinking about going up to 40 to see how that feels.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 39-40 on my SR/A's. MPG is keeping around 18-18.5 mpg now. I was getting 16 when I had the PSI at 32-34. I also could be experiencing the break-in period for mpg. I got my Reny in Spet and did a 2600 mile road trip last month. MPG has been up since I got back here.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 38 in my BFG ATs. My Liberty is kinda heavy w/ All J's Super skid, Mopar skids, BBs, moon roof, side curtains, Selec trac, Trak loc etc. it all adds up

tree_stump

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
26?! That can't be right. I keep my stock SRA's at 34 cold. I would think that your mpg would suffer at 26?

(dunno)

Mileage and handling suffered, yeah... And I imagine it was terrifically dangerous (wasn't 26 the PSI used on the Exploders that had all the blowouts?)

I've got them at 34 now - when the outside temperatures equalize a little I'll try airing them up to 40.

Thanks for the input, all!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tree_stump said:
grogiefrog said:

(dunno)

Mileage and handling suffered, yeah... And I imagine it was terrifically dangerous (wasn't 26 the PSI used on the Exploders that had all the blowouts?)

I've got them at 34 now - when the outside temperatures equalize a little I'll try airing them up to 40.

Thanks for the input, all!

Yes, I would think that 26 as asking for a blowout. See if you MPG increases. yes.gif

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
optimal tire pressure

Want to find the best (not underinflated or overinflated) Pressure? At that point the contact patch and tire wear is best.

Get a stick of chalk. Go to an empty flat, level parking lot. Put a chalk mark across the tread of each of your tires. roll the vehicle a few feet until the chalk starts to wear off. Tires are: overinflated if it wears off more in the center; underinflated if it wears off more at the edges; optimal if the wear pattern is even.

Heavier rigs require more pressure; oversize tires require less pressure. I run stock SR-A's and set about 38psi.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: optimal tire pressure

roadrunner said:
Want to find the best (not underinflated or overinflated) Pressure? At that point the contact patch and tire wear is best.

Get a stick of chalk. Go to an empty flat, level parking lot. Put a chalk mark across the tread of each of your tires. roll the vehicle a few feet until the chalk starts to wear off. Tires are: overinflated if it wears off more in the center; underinflated if it wears off more at the edges; optimal if the wear pattern is even.

Heavier rigs require more pressure; oversize tires require less pressure. I run stock SR-A's and set about 38psi.

Cool idea! =D>

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire inflation pressure

The manufacturer recommends 33psi for Goodyear Wrangler ST. The dealer keeps dropping mine to 30psi. I go by the recommended 33psi for best vehicle handling on these tires. Going too high will drop your traction factor on ice, snow and wet roads.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All pressure gauges don't register the same. Mine seems to read about 2 - 3 psi. lower than than most shop gauges. I say, when in doubt, go a little higher -- it'll become lower soon enough!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roadrunner said:
All pressure gauges don't register the same. Mine seems to read about 2 - 3 psi. lower than than most shop gauges. I say, when in doubt, go a little higher -- it'll become lower soon enough!

Agree!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i use 2 just in case....the other one i have matches 3 others of it's kind so i go by it...more so than my other one...the other one is off by -2 psi.....
and cant read anything lower than 25 psi....

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire guages

then the next question should be, why the hell can't they make a tire pressure gauge that actually measures tire pressure accurately? ](*,)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Re: tire guages

lightfoot44 said:
then the next question should be, why the hell can't they make a tire pressure gauge that actually measures tire pressure accurately? ](*,)

it's a conspiracy
they sell us shoddy tire guages, which makes us think that we have correct tire pressure, but since we dont, we burn more fuel, and wear out our tires more...which makes us buy gas sooner, and replace our tires sooner.....
then, they laugh all the way to the bank.....

:-s