Air Intake Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is the better choice, the aem brute force or the k and n fipk? Thoughts and testimonials would be appreciated!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You could always spend an extra 50% and have a snorkel
You must be registered for see images

$250 for an AEM brute force, or a snorkel for $390 shipped. HMM.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
TBJ great photo, what do you think you are a boat that floats?
More brave than I would ever be. If you are going deep like that make sure your breathers are extended up, all of them!
How much belt squealing you got after a run like that, fried an alternator yet? Water inside?

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
No broken parts, little water came in under the doors. Breathers are extended:) First "mod" ThunderbirdJunkie did to the KJ.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the k&n. its way better than stock on the whole rpm range and it takes less pedal to hold high speeds. tons of pick up compared to stock IMO from what i feel in my jeep. there is a noticeable difference to me. i also tried another intake design that was trying for a true cold air intake set up, but it seemed to kill the power.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth, but it would seem than the increase in airflow comes at the expense of decreased filtering capacity, allowing more dirt to pass into the engine.

On the street, that's not a good thing, but not so critical. In an off-road evironment however, the amount of dirt drawn into the intake is multiplied vastly.

On my VW powered dune buggies, we ran K&N filters, but with pre-filters and socks over and around the main filter bodies.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Oh honu...if only you've seen the previous storms created by those very statements in the past.
*BRACING FOR ANGER*

Also, honu is 100% right...
Remember the K&N ad about 10 years ago about old dude with the '70s Chevy pickup?
I'VE GOT 700,000 MILES ON THIS TRUCK, AND THAT FILTER HAS OUTLASTED FOUR ENGINES!

Sorry, but if you've been through four engines in 700,000 miles, there's something wrong.

Good ol' paper filter for ThunderbirdJunkie!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pro tip - K&N air filters let lots of crap go through your engine :)

Plus that sludge that you have to put on them.

It's a Jeep, doesn't need to be a tenth quicker. It needs to last long though.

I just use Fram air filters. JMO. :)

Cheers

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it better in the long run not to get an aftermarket air intake?

Again, just my opinion... but what I've done is to "clean-up" the airflow path of the stock intake. What I mean is that most intake tubes, running from the airbox to the throttle body, have a corrugated, flexible part. I think this causes turbulence in the airflow.

What I've done on my Magnum is cut out the flexible section and replace it with a thin wall, aluminum tube. I also swapped out the stock R/T intake air box and tube for an SRT version... 4" to 3 1/2" as opposed to a straight 3 1/2 tube. This allowed for a less convoluted airflow into the intake system.

Personally, my butt-dyno hasn't registered any more horsepower, but the throttle response seems a little crisper.

I'm certainly not criticizing those who've switched to CAI's, but I'm a low budget guy, so cheap or even free gains are great.

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ended up ordering the aem brute force intake and I'll keep you guys updated !

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No broken parts, little water came in under the doors. Breathers are extended:) First "mod" ThunderbirdJunkie did to the KJ.

Before I hijack this posting I'll comment on the air breather improvements.

I thought the improvements seen with the aftermarket airfilters was due to their increased area. Is it true that the K&N filters don't filter very well? that would explain the better airflow with their filters.

I like the idea of replacing the corrugated hoses with something smooth to improve airflow without replacing the stock filter box. Plus some of those aftermarket air filters can be expensive.

I've actually witnessed a YJ Jeep complete with a snorkel drive straight into a deep pond. Because of the snorkel it ran for about two minutes....then the water leaked into the distributor and into the engine & transmission and it stalled. Oh, and the water was up to the driver's chest while he was behind the wheel. (there was even water in the gauges :eek:) So a snorkel and moving the vent lines to the snorkel won't keep you from stalling in the middle of a puddle/pond/lake/river but it will help.

ThunderbirdJunkie can you turn your snorkel to face backwards? I've seen a couple of people do that so they don't splash water into it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes.
Snorkels are not for playing submarine. They are to prevent water from getting into the intake.
They prevent you from hydrolocking the engine. That is their only purpose.