Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the air filter for the 2.4L L4 ****** and 3.7L V6 are the same? I ask because Amazon is having a nice deal on the FRAM air hog filters:

FRAM AIR HOG FILTERS

19.99 - $20.00 mail in rebate. If you buy 2 of them you can get the free shipping (for any order above $25) or just fill up your cart to $25. I planned on buying two of them but was curious as to why I couldn't find a 3.7L V6 air filter on Amazon. I entered in my Liberty specs and nothing came up. But tons came up for the 2.4L.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 different part numbers for each one:
5019443AA for the 2.4L KJ 02-04 and
5018777AA for the 3.7L KJ 02-04

I'm guessing that they are not exactly the same. :-k

If I may ask and with all due respect... why don't you use the OEM Mopar? Also I remember that I was advised once to don't use Fram... but you know... an advice is just that...

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 different part numbers for each one:
5019443AA for the 2.4L KJ 02-04 and
5018777AA for the 3.7L KJ 02-04

I'm guessing that they are not exactly the same. :-k

If I may ask and with all due respect... why don't you use the OEM Mopar? Also I remember that I was advised once to don't use Fram... but you know... an advice is just that...

Well I don't use OEM because the regular FRAM air filters are typically cheaper at my local auto store. With great in-store specials I typically can buy 2 for the price of one. I try to change them a lot. With all crap in the air around here it just helps it. But, for $0.01 per filter on these FRAM HOGS you really can't go wrong.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix is the best drop in filter. Amsoil is great also but its $$.

Idk why they would use a different air box for the I-4 and the 3.7l..

I run K&N. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with the Mopar Air Filter, part #5018777AB (previously AA on the end) and it was $18.95 list and $16.00 net on my invoice (with my discount) from the dealer. They changed the last letter to a "B" on the part #. I don't know why but they did the same to the oil filter when I bought it. The Mopar # for the oil filter is 4781452BB (was AA on the end). I buy Mopar filters at the dealer (cause I'm in warranty-and changing oil etc myself) and that is what the bill says. They also give me a discount as I buy stuff there once in a while.

Anyway, probably Fram air filters are cheaper and ok as far as I have heard...........but DO NOT USE their oil filter. Wix, Purolater, Mopar, and NAPA (made by Wix) are ok for oil filters.

Call them and give them the Mopar filter # above and see if they can cross-reference it to sure you are getting the right filter. Maby they are just trying to unload the 2.4L air filters because they sell slow. Most gas KJ's are the 3.7L ........I do not know if the filters are different for the 2.4 and 3.7

Dave

Last edited:

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go AMSoil drop in. They may be more expensive (got mine for $35 to the door when I bought a couple) but are suppose to last 100,000 miles with just some cleaning by blowing off or using a vacuum on them. Over the life of the vehicle I am pretty sure thats cheaper than replacing a cheaper filter ever 10,000 or whatever number you want to use. Just an opinion.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phil, to answer your question...no, they are not the same for the 2.4 & 3.7. I've been searching for filters for each of the 2 engines and every one I find, the part numbers are different for the 3.7 & 2.4.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just stick with the normal one then. I thought that this was a hot deal but if I'm buying into something that won't accomodate the 3.7 then it's not worth it.

Maybe the folks on 6 Mile/Van **** with their tables set up on the sidewalk might have some new air filters for cheap............... :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering a K&N, but then I was hearing that they don't filter as well. I had one on my last car, and it seemed to do OK, but that thing wasn't in the dirt and dust that the KJ is.

Anyone have any tests or anything to support whether they are good or bad?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering a K&N, but then I was hearing that they don't filter as well. I had one on my last car, and it seemed to do OK, but that thing wasn't in the dirt and dust that the KJ is.

Anyone have any tests or anything to support whether they are good or bad?

I don't have any proof or tests for it, but I have heard the same thing. In fact, I was told by a tech (I think) that Cummins seriously discourages the use of filters like K&N, becuase it can score the inside of the cylinders in dusty conditions. That was another "advice" thing, but that is just what I've heard.

Personally, I use Fram. It's cheap, reputable, and available anywhere. I'm still on the search for a good rewashable filter for the KJ, but haven't found one yet.

08k is renowned for his filter technique with the AZ guys though. He uses a stock Mopar in offroad conditions to keep the dust out and then throws in the K&N when he is getting back onto the highway. It takes less time than airing down and saves money that way.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish AEM would make their DryFlow Filters in the drop-in kind instead of having them on the end of an intake.

I would love to try those out. Cleanable, 99.4% air cleaning efficiency and no oil.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don';t think you can get rebate for both. One rebate per household I think.
Where are you gonna filter the remaining one with!? heheheheh

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08k is renowned for his filter technique with the AZ guys though. He uses a stock Mopar in offroad conditions to keep the dust out and then throws in the K&N when he is getting back onto the highway. It takes less time than airing down and saves money that way.

A paper filter will block more dirt than a K&N...but it'll also block more air. So naturally...offroad you want as little dust as possible entering the engine...use paper filter. Frankly the ~2hp you'll gain with that K&N aren't really worth it to me in a non-performance vehicle.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not interested in the performance gain. Gas mileage gain, I would be if it's a decent amount.

The biggest thing to me is I like being able to open the filter box up, go "oh, it's dirty" and clean it. I know it's not a big deal, but I don't want to run to the store.