Air Conditioning Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodrow

Reaction score
I have a problem with the AC in my newly purchased KJ. The problem is there is none and it is getting hot out.... How difficult is it to install AC? It is the base model 03 Sport, manual trans, manual windows, manual everything....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... I've certainly never seen a KJ with manual windows, no AC, etc., and this is the first tie I've ever heard of one that is so "manual."

I don't know how you can add AC to your Liberty - not sure how capable your ECU is to control things like idle speed, electric fan control, etc.

Others will have to help me out on this one. And by the way...

(welcome)

Bob

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't have it you have a LOT of work to do if you want to install it. Your best bet is to find an 02/03 parts rig. You will need the condenser, compressor, lines for those, the drier, and you need the HVAC box, plus the control head in the dash and you will need the ECM and BCM flashed to enable the controls to function.

The entire dash will need to come out to get to the HVAC box. With a parts box you could install a new heater core and evaporator core and swap it in once you remove the old box. REALLY not a fun job...

Woodrow

Reaction score
Wow... I've certainly never seen a KJ with manual windows, no AC, etc., and this is the first tie I've ever heard of one that is so "manual."

I don't know how you can add AC to your Liberty - not sure how capable your ECU is to control things like idle speed, electric fan control, etc.

Others will have to help me out on this one. And by the way...

(welcome)

Bob

Yeah, I got a really good deal on it, I just didn't realize that having zero extras was the reason why! And thanks for the warm welcome!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a really good deal on it, I just didn't realize that having zero extras was the reason why! And thanks for the warm welcome!

sounds like your AC might need to be manually operated by your left arm as well.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the liberty come pre-wired for ac like the wranglers?

Big deal with XJ guys who want to add ac is the engine harness and dash have to be swapped along with a bunch of other stuff. It's a tough job IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is most unusual. I also have never heard of not Ac equipped.
Woodrow, I would obtain a build sheet from VIN # by contacting Jeep at ..
Link: Email Jeep
Under Subject add "Build Sheet" and they will reply by email with it.
This will also be helpful for all specification from Transmission to differential etc.
Would sure like to see this build sheet!
Also if you can take some under the hood photos, & one of dash -for climate control area.
Left of Alternator is where compressor sits..do you have the 3.7 engine? Is yours a 2WD or 4x4?
56065[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

No AC Compressor, A ton of work ahead to install AC if yours really is not equipped.

Attachments

• Jeep%20Back%20To%20Black.jpg
    Jeep%20Back%20To%20Black.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard of not having AC. Most parts places list a belt for ones with AC or without.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the build sheet would help.

I know some owners for some or other reason have removed their air-cons...there are lots of threads on how to do this ie. how to remove the compressor, fit a shorter Serpentine belt etc. so maybe you have one of these modded KJs and the rest of the installation such as the harness etc. is still in place.

Never heard of manual windows, no aircon etc.

My 2002 Export CRD 4X4 manual is the basic Sport model and has electric windows, very good aircon etc. but I am sure Chrysler realised that they would never sell in the Export market without these items fitted as Standard!