Air Conditioner Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the problem solved. Not entirely happy with how the whole situation went, but at least it is resolved. It turns out that it was the compressor. Finally got it to do it as I was getting to the dealership. Also, is it possible for a faulty compressor to rob the Jeep of power? I just felt like it was running better on the way home, but not sure if that was just a mental thing.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got the problem solved. Not entirely happy with how the whole situation went, but at least it is resolved. It turns out that it was the compressor. Finally got it to do it as I was getting to the dealership. Also, is it possible for a faulty compressor to rob the Jeep of power? I just felt like it was running better on the way home, but not sure if that was just a mental thing.

Depending on what was wrong with the compressor....yes.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor had also went out on my KJ recently. It is doing exactly the same thing you are saying.

BTW, was the compressor making any noises? My compressor is making a knocking sound when I change engine RPMs.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another question. If the system is low or out of freon will the compressor still cycle or will it not do anything?

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another question. If the system is low or out of freon will the compressor still cycle or will it not do anything?

If the pressure is higher than 43PSI (when engine is off) then the compressor will cycle. The pressure in the system will determine how much the compressor will cycle, and if the compressor will stay on long enough to do anything.

If the pressure is lower than 43PSI (engine off) then the compressor will not engage. The compressor may engage briefly but will immediately shut down and, due to the low pressure switch not reaching its reset pressure, will not turn on again until pressure exceeds 43PSI.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

its possible. my wifes compressor was very hard to turn by hand with the belt off. i think it was about to lock up. the thing started making bad bearing type noises. the new one spun free a few times with just a small spin.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pressure is higher than 43PSI (when engine is off) then the compressor will cycle. The pressure in the system will determine how much the compressor will cycle, and if the compressor will stay on long enough to do anything.

If the pressure is lower than 43PSI (engine off) then the compressor will not engage. The compressor may engage briefly but will immediately shut down and, due to the low pressure switch not reaching its reset pressure, will not turn on again until pressure exceeds 43PSI.

Thanks guys. I'm having a problem with my daughters car. Last summer she said the A/C worked but did not get really cold. Now it won't do anything. The car is a 2000 Hyundai that we bought new and the A/C has never been recharged so I hope the problem is that simple.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm having a problem with my daughters car. Last summer she said the A/C worked but did not get really cold. Now it won't do anything. The car is a 2000 Hyundai that we bought new and the A/C has never been recharged so I hope the problem is that simple.

Just remember - If you need to add refrigerant there must be a leak somewhere, I use an electronic leak detector, First place to look is at the compressor shaft seal.

Latest posts

Members online