Air bag light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just purchased my 2002 jeep liberty sport and randomly the air bag light stays on, then after awhile it goes away.

If its on and i turn off the car completely then start it back up again it stays off for a few seconds then turns back on.

Where do i start troubleshotting this?!?

TomO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly a simple system there. I would start by looking into connections between the OCM ( Occupant Classification Module ) ( really?) and the bladder assembly in the front passenger seat.

I'm getting this information from the owners manual BTW.

Both drivers and passengers should always use the PAD indicator
light as an indication if the front passenger is properly
positioned or not. If the PAD indicator light comes on
when an adult is in the passenger seat, have the passen-
ger re-position themselves in the seat until the light goes
out. Remember, if the PAD indicator light is illuminated
the passenger front airbag will not inflate. For properly
installed child restraint systems and children properly
seated on the front passenger seat, the airbag will be
disabled. If at all possible, place children 12 years and
younger in a back seat.

Do you have anything sitting on the passenger seat that may be confusing the system?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by taking it to the dealer and have them diagnose the stored air bag codes.
No point in guessing, it is a complicated module/connectors system.
You will know once codes are identified as to location of problem, and only dealer has the correct scan tool.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly a simple system there. I would start by looking into connections between the OCM ( Occupant Classification Module ) ( really?) and the bladder assembly in the front passenger seat.

I'm getting this information from the owners manual BTW.

Both drivers and passengers should always use the PAD indicator
light as an indication if the front passenger is properly
positioned or not. If the PAD indicator light comes on
when an adult is in the passenger seat, have the passen-
ger re-position themselves in the seat until the light goes
out. Remember, if the PAD indicator light is illuminated
the passenger front airbag will not inflate. For properly
installed child restraint systems and children properly
seated on the front passenger seat, the airbag will be
disabled. If at all possible, place children 12 years and
younger in a back seat.

Do you have anything sitting on the passenger seat that may be confusing the system?
That system is not in a '02 KJ,I believe that system did not start until '04 KJ's.In a '02 KJ both bags are active all the time unless the airbag light is on then the whole system is disabled,or when the drivers side seat belt is not latched.

There are a few area's you can quickly check.........

Does the horn work when the airbag light is on? If not a faulty clock spring is to blame.

Could be the drivers side seatblet latch that is going bad as it has a switch in it so the airbags are only armed with the drivers seatbelt latched.

Beyond that let the pro's do the rest as you don't want to be messing with the SRS system without proper training.I have launched a metal garbage can over 75' in the air with a airbag,not something you want to play with as it can be deadly.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thanks, ill see if i can find a good place to take it over here in germany. But my horn still works, and my seatbelt latches. Ill just let the pros do what they do

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem on my 2002 2.5 CRD. The airbag light would come on and go off randomly. I noticed that if I moved the wires just below the steering column plastic then the bug would change. The 4 airbag wires for the driver side goes through the clock spring, which could be a problem and then to a connector below the plastic covers around the steering column. The colors of these wires are: BK/LB DG/LB OR/LB TN/LB where LB is Light Brown, BK is Black, DG is Dark Green. TN is Tan and OR is Orange. I found I had contact problems within this connector...I could clean and re-tension the contacts and the Airbag light would go out only to come back a few days/weeks later. I then cut off the connectors and directly soldered the wires straight through one-to-one and have not had a problem since. Interesting to note is that this connector has a small metal plate built into it that will short out all four pins, on the airbag side, the instant you pull the connector apart...probably to protect the airbag from stray EMF or random voltages.
This may or may not be where your problem lies as of course there are passenger and curtain airbags as well but there is more movement around the steering wheel so that is where you would expect loose connections.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this since I've had the same problem. Searching for "air bag light" on here is next to impossible because of the three-letter words.

Mine is definitely a clockspring problem since my steering wheel radio controls sometimes do the wrong thing as well.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i tried wiggling some wires under the drivers side kick panel above the pedals... no luck with that, is there maybe any other little tricks i could try before i take it to the dealership??