Ahhhhh!!!!electrical!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian

Reaction score
I'm a brand new kj owner and I must say I am completely hooked! I absolutely love the rig. My 02' kj has a Franken lift kit, ARB shocks, magnaflow exhaust, arb bull bar and 9500 winch and kc lights on it now.

The problem i am having is I have a check engine light code p1491 which is radiator fan control relay circuit. The truck does not overheat and the fan seems to be working properly. I will occasionally get a battery light, but I am not experiencing any power loss. It has a brand new battery and I am getting 12 volts from the alternator. I'm completely at a loss here.

Any help?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup classic right there the Alternator has failed, most likely a Diode has opened up and weakened the charging process. Swap it out, problem solved.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, double check your alternator. Mine puts out 14.2-14.5v when running according to my scan gauge.

Dave

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a good auto electric shop in your town and have a couple days that you can wait to get the alternator, you should have it rebuilt to factory or better specs. Are you going to run a winch or high output sound system? If so, they can beef up your alternator to put out more amps, so it can keep up with the draw from these types of accessories. Most shops can do this for about the same money it would take to replace it with a good one from an auto parts store. Whenever I have an alternator fail. This is what I do. It is a much better solution, and you know exactly what you're getting.

Ian

Reaction score
Thanks! I absolutely love this rig and it is so much fun to drive. I think I need a transfer case position switch as well because my part time light will occasionally come on when in 2wd and if I touch the selector it will go out. It never actually comes on when in 4wd. 4 low light works as it should.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with Chrysler and see if you have had all of the recalls done on your rig. Mine was having the part time light issue too in Dec 2013. Took it to dealer and they installed a new ECU for the ****** and a new selector switch under the recall. They did mine for free.

Ian

Reaction score
Check with Chrysler and see if you have had all of the recalls done on your rig. Mine was having the part time light issue too in Dec 2013. Took it to dealer and they installed a new ECU for the ****** and a new selector switch under the recall. They did mine for free.

Here is today's update. I pulled the alternator and had it tested, which it passed. After reinstalling it i put the volt meter to it and i was getting 13.5v. I also cleared the code for the check engine light after reinstalling the alternator. I did get the check light again so i ordered the radiator fan relay and it will be here tomorrow. I did get another battery light later tonight and the voltmeter said 12.5v so i will be replacing the alternator tomorrow as well. Im also thinking i should double check the ground for the relay while I am in there.

Thanks for the recall advice, I called today and my rig has 2 recalls for it. I will be getting that in some time next week.

Members online