Aftermarket Radio Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M.Koiter

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had info such as what wires go to what speakers, im going on a trip tomorrow and made a last second desiton to put in a aftermarket cd player (mine was broken) i thought that the power cabel was pink but it doesnt seem to have power to it... help

2002 Jeep liberty Limited

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really owe it to yourself to look into an adapter from crutchfield.com or similar....the hard work has already been done and all you need to do is match wires and solder/heat shrink them....that being said, there are wiring diagrams available as .pdf files...search this site for details...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the Metra adapter and it lists the wire as red, which has been standard for as long as I can remember. (I installed my first aftermarket stereo 40 years ago.)

Do you have a multimeter? Just use it to find the hot one. :)

M.Koiter

Reaction score
well i checked and none are the hot ones...so i checked the fuses and there are multiple that have no power to them and only one was blown which i replaced and it had no effect on the power to the cd player... not sure what to do...

M.Koiter

Reaction score
update

A buddy of mine tried helping me out and long story short I got even more screwed up... Now the interior lights won't work and my dash lights are out. My locks only work when the car is on...omg why did I do any of this lol..

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What did your buddy try? I'm guessing he might have tried to tap directly into the fuse box, or something like that?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a direct harness for 35 bucks or so that will hook into the factory socket

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, your 'helper' hasn't cut into anything yet...check your fuses with VOM meter and replace as necessary...then search amazon or crutchfield.com for 'Jeep wiring adapter' (the Metra one that profdlp referenced)....the adapter comes with wiring instructions and your aftermarket headunit 'should' have a wiring breakdown included with it....if you don't have that information, search by the make and model number on the interwebs...many instruction manuals for electronic gear are online available for download...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to put it in yet, but I've had my new HU and Metra harness for a week. I didn't even notice the color code on the back of the Metra package since every wire exactly matched the ones on the HU itself. As long as you're not color blind you really cannot screw this up.

Of course, the USPS says that on Monday they delivered the dash bezel I need to finish things off. It is nowhere to be seen, though... :thumbsdown:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea. The last date in Amazon's window for delivery is about a week away, so they won't help before then. The USPS is kind of hard to get a straight answer from. :shrug:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. The last date in Amazon's window for delivery is about a week away, so they won't help before then. The USPS is kind of hard to get a straight answer from. :shrug:

An agency of OUR government is concealing information from its citizens?!?!? [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a story here locally yesterday that a fox was swiping people's newspapers and depositing them in a guy's back yard. Maybe he got my bezel, the sly rascal.