Aftermarket cruise control problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I became aware that my cruise control quit working on my way for a job almost 2h away all highway :(

I tried fixing it tonight without success. I checked every fuse they were all fine even both the fuse that seem to come with the cruise when it was installed.

We checked wires and all had power and it seems like it's working from the harness to the controller connector. Can my servo gone bad ? There is only one hose going to the controller.

This is what I did recently:

-Installed LED brake lights.
Can this "trick" the controller into "thinking" it's a malfunction brake switch ?
-My dad did rust prevention (shooted oil)
-Installed CB

CEL is not lit and other than the cruise everything seems fine. Since no Check Engine, I don't expect it to be vaccum related but who knows ?

This is the cruise I have:

Universal Rostra cruise control kit w/ Column switch - The Cruise Control Store

And TBH I don't know what else to check :shrug:

I'm missing that cruise real bad, especially since cruise is preventing me from heavy footing :thumbsdown:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I became aware that my cruise control quit working on my way for a job almost 2h away all highway :(

I tried fixing it tonight without success. I checked every fuse they were all fine even both the fuse that seem to come with the cruise when it was installed.

We checked wires and all had power and it seems like it's working from the harness to the controller connector. Can my servo gone bad ? There is only one hose going to the controller.

Can this "trick" the controller into "thinking" it's a malfunction brake switch ?
-Installed CB

CEL is not lit and other than the cruise everything seems fine. Since no Check Engine, I don't expect it to be vaccum related but who knows ?

I'm missing that cruise real bad, especially since cruise is preventing me from heavy footing :thumbsdown:

Possible that LED brake lights are confusing the system...fit the original ones back to test.

I have no idea how this Aftermarket system works but general issue with Cruise Control are:

If your switch is column mounted then it needs the Clock Spring to take the signal down to the harness...the clock spring may be faulty...I would try fit a switch temporarily at the bottom of the clock spring where it plugs into the new section of harness to see if it then works...this would eliminate the switch at the top of the column and a faulty clockspring.

Then the cruise control relies on it disconnecting when the brake pedal is depressed...the brake pedal switch has three seperate contacts on it...the one for the speed control may be faulty so you need to replace the brake switch assembly...once the original switch has been removed it cannot be put back again.

Then there is a switch on the brake master cylinder which works in tandem with the brakes switch to agree with each other that the brake switch has indeed been pressed.

Could be a problem with the ABS wheel sensors though I would expect to have the ABS light come ON.:shrug:

Read up on how the 2006 Cruise Control works by downloading the 2006 KJ Service Manual here:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible that LED brake lights are confusing the system...fit the original ones back to test.

I have no idea how this Aftermarket system works but general issue with Cruise Control are:

If your switch is column mounted then it needs the Clock Spring to take the signal down to the harness...the clock spring may be faulty...I would try fit a switch temporarily at the bottom of the clock spring where it plugs into the new section of harness to see if it then works...this would eliminate the switch at the top of the column and a faulty clockspring.

Then the cruise control relies on it disconnecting when the brake pedal is depressed...the brake pedal switch has three seperate contacts on it...the one for the speed control may be faulty so you need to replace the brake switch assembly...once the original switch has been removed it cannot be put back again.

Then there is a switch on the brake master cylinder which works in tandem with the brakes switch to agree with each other that the brake switch has indeed been pressed.

Could be a problem with the ABS wheel sensors though I would expect to have the ABS light come ON.:shrug:

Read up on how the 2006 Cruise Control works by downloading the 2006 KJ Service Manual here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

LED brake bulbs were the culprits... I replaced both taillights and third brake light with original and tadam ! it worked !

I still have my led backup lights and was planning on changing the third brake light with something LED but built for automotive. I'm curious to try again with the incandescent third but both philips led in the tail lights (these were made for automotives) to see if it still works

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to mount resistors on the LED brake lamps. Though funny, I have LED bulbs and no issues with the Cruise on mine though being an 07 things could be different.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake switch. Even if the lights are not coming on that's what it could be. That's what happened to me.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED brake bulbs were the culprits... I replaced both taillights and third brake light with original and tadam ! it worked !

I still have my led backup lights and was planning on changing the third brake light with something LED but built for automotive. I'm curious to try again with the incandescent third but both philips led in the tail lights (these were made for automotives) to see if it still works

sounds like you have some experimenting to do.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have some experimenting to do.

You're right. I found the problem at 1h30AM and test drove it at around 2am so I just park it back there, at least I found the problem.

I have a cheap led on the third brake light and both tail lights are:
Vision LED Exterior lighting 12840B2 | Philips

And I have this ordered as I wasn't satisfied with the 3rd brake light LED:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00RYT3340?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 which they state are error free...

This is a wait and see until this bulb arrives. I read that there must be only one of the bulb that is electrically compliant so my theory is that if that LED is fine, even if both philips aren't it will still work. But this need real-life testing to counter-proof for sure :) Otherwise I will take the resistor path.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course the issue might stem from the fact the kit is aftermarket. Opposed to an actual OEM kit. I would ditch the Rostra Controls and put in the OEM steering controls.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally made some tests with the newly received bulb and to no luck, it won't work without the load resistor, So I'll get one.

I'm running LEDs for parking and the incan 3rd brake light actually to be able to cruise with peace of mind for speeding tickets ;)

tssphoto

Reaction score
Hi,

-Installed CB

I just bought an '04 Libby with no cruise. I found the same kit you have and was wondering if you installed it yourself and how complicated it was? I saw what you wrote about the LEDs, I was thinking of doing that too but I'd rather have the cruise and I'd leave the bulbs alone.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought an '04 Libby with no cruise. I found the same kit you have and was wondering if you installed it yourself and how complicated it was? I saw what you wrote about the LEDs, I was thinking of doing that too but I'd rather have the cruise and I'd leave the bulbs alone.
May 17, 2021 was the last time they ( GeekFisher ) were on here so don't give up hope, maybe someone else can help you out here