Advice on accessing rear gate latch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advice on accessing rear gate latch? Got it, thanks!

This blows. Went to open the rear gate on the KJ and the handle just pulled straight out. Whatever connects the handle to the latch mechanism came loose or broke. Gate won't open. Service manual says the square access panel on the inside "provides access to the gate latch if gate power fails. The gate can be unlocked by reaching in and pressing the lock lever down." Well, the gate is already unlocked. I need some way to open the latch, not just trip the lock. I popped the panel off, but I can't really access anything. There's a sheet of vinyl, I guess it's waterproofing, between me and the innards. It's black so I can't see through it. I can cut through it if I have to. I'd rather not, obviously. I can't get the trim panel itself off because the gate is shut. Anybody had to deal with this before or have any advice other than cut my way in?

Last edited:

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't have to. I was able to get the water barrier out of the way. I could just barely feel the edge of it with my hand jammed all the way in. Took forever but finally managed to roll the edge over where I could get a finger under to get a grip on it and pull it out of the way. A few lost skin cells and the gate is open. Now to pop the trim off and see if it's fixable. Knowing Mopar the way I do, I'm sure the latch and handle are integral parts of the swing gate and nonserviceable, so I'll need to replace the entire gate (joking, but just barely).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a little panel that pops out of the gate for this very reason. Ive popped mine out just to see whats behind it. Seems you found that panel but mine wasnt hard to get off. Just popped right out.

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a little panel that pops out of the gate for this very reason. Ive popped mine out just to see whats behind it. Seems you found that panel but mine wasnt hard to get off. Just popped right out.

Well, as I said, I got the access panel out just fine. But once it's out, there's a thick plastic water barrier that blocks any actual "access." I didn't want to cut through that if I didn't have to. It took some doing, but I was able to finally grab the edge of the water barrier and pull it away so I could actually get my hand inside the gate and up to the latch.

Members online

No members online now.