Adding fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I want to give this a shot again. I have the fog light mfs and fog lights that I pulled from a Libby at the junk yard. I tried to follow along the tutorial on here but didn't quite understand it. Can someone that has done this post down below what I'll need? And also I stripped the wire on the mfs connector like the tutorial said and connected the blue wire to it and black to battery negative when I pulled the fog light switch the light on the dash came on but no dice with the fogs. I'm sure I'm missing something here. Also I had no relay at the time so maybe that's all I was missing?

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't add any relay. Just tried putting negative to negative and positive to the wire on the MFS. Since I didn't add in the relay would that be why it didn't work? Someone link what I need and instructions?

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a link to the fsm
Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

It's all in the FSM.

pg 463 and 984

Mind you i grabbed the fog lights and multi function switch from a junker. Should I go back and grab the relay also? Can someone post a picture on which relay i need or something equivalent i can buy elsewhere.
So heres what I have:
The MFS switch , and the fog lights. I looked good and hard at that manual and I thank you for that but I do not see anything in there on wiring from the switch. I guess the only thing im stuck on is what were goes to what pin on the MFS connector on the steering column and from where that wire should go and so on and so forth.:help:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't have alot of time to help you all the way but I'll try to guide you with how and where to start to figure this out.
the MFS is right there on page 985.
Follow the index in parenthesis . so you'll see 8wa-50-14 (pg 997) and 8wa-53-2.

going to page 997 will show you that the connector is C1 and C2.

Section 8w-80 will have all the connector/pin outs etc
From section 8w-80 it list MFS C1 and C2 as page 8wa-80-78 which is pg 1133.

page 583 shows you the junction block for the front fog light relay. Get a similar relay that's already in your junction block, eg for the high beams.

So that's how to use the FSM for the electricals.

Also you might want to check if your wiring harness includes the connectors for the front left and front right fog lights.

this project is straight forward but very tedious to figure everything out.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to help. Also help through the phone is a lot easier imho then through the forum.

Good luck.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not have fog lights but bought a brand new OEM kit for my 2007. I followed the directions to the letter and still had no lights. It turned out to be a simple little misreading of the instructions regarding the relay.

Read about it here, particularly Post #22:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/fog-lights-2007-liberty-sport-54403/

If any of this looks similar to what you had to do for your 2002 and you are confident that the wiring was done properly, I'd take a good hard look at your relays. :)

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not have fog lights but bought a brand new OEM kit for my 2007. I followed the directions to the letter and still had no lights. It turned out to be a simple little misreading of the instructions regarding the relay.

Read about it here, particularly Post #22:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/fog-lights-2007-liberty-sport-54403/

If any of this looks similar to what you had to do for your 2002 and you are confident that the wiring was done properly, I'd take a good hard look at your relays. :)
I'm gonna take another shot at it in a couple days when I'm not sp frustrated. But to be clear, Run a wire from said wire on MFS to where exactly? I'm honestly so lost with this whole thing and I dont know what to do :beatdeadhorse5:

SgtDrillbit

Reaction score
Couldn't you just wire them up as you would accessory lights? 3 prong switch mounted in the cab, hot off battery to center prong, ground to bottom prong, "hot" wire to lights?

Just curious, seems a bit more simple.....

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just wire them up as you would accessory lights? 3 prong switch mounted in the cab, hot off battery to center prong, ground to bottom prong, "hot" wire to lights?

Just curious, seems a bit more simple.....

Not without making up a relay harness
He has OEM fog light housings he's wanting to put in but his KJ didn't come with fogs so he'll have to wire them up as if they were stock so they work as such
Now, if he just had some 12V 3.5" fogs then yes he could wire them like that (which is how mine are)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not without making up a relay harness
He has OEM fog light housings he's wanting to put in but his KJ didn't come with fogs so he'll have to wire them up as if they were stock so they work as such
Now, if he just had some 12V 3.5" fogs then yes he could wire them like that (which is how mine are)

Still need a relay in there , never wire up directly

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
He's got the stalk with the switch. There is already a place for a relay under the dash. The rest is just a matter of tapping into the right wires under the hood.

I can understand him wanting it to work off the factory switch. I bought the OEM kit for just that reason. Thanks to some would-be thieves it no longer works out that way, but even so, I have resisted wiring up a separate switch and being done with it.

I'm gonna take another shot at it in a couple days...
That was five months ago. Have an update for us, teeje? ;)

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's got the stalk with the switch. There is already a place for a relay under the dash. The rest is just a matter of tapping into the right wires under the hood.

I can understand him wanting it to work off the factory switch. I bought the OEM kit for just that reason. Thanks to some would-be thieves it no longer works out that way, but even so, I have resisted wiring up a separate switch and being done with it.

That was five months ago. Have an update for us, teeje? ;)
Lol its all done. Its been done :D i forgot the dern relay in the junction box

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk