Adding a block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Now that I've relocated back into the Great White North, I'm wondering if it'd be wise to have a block heater for the KJ, as the winters here will probably get -40 without a doubt...

How hard is it to install one?

Thanks!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup im under 100 miles away and ive never needed a block heater. totally unnecessary but the kj would be a little happier upon startup. winter has always been ******* my battery/s

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not that hard to do. Just drain the coolant out of the block by a plug and then you will have to knock out a casting plug to place in the heater in. I placed one in my KJ to easy on hard start ups. Plus I hate listening to the power steering pump whining in the morning.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We plug ours in over night in the "Cold" wet coast mornings and our truck heats
up in a ¼ of the time, that and there is no noise from the starter* or the steering pump*.
(*Which have been checked and both work fine)
Still don't get why a Canadian Jeep didn't come standard with heated side view mirrors!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
At -10 Celsius, I dont even bother with my block heater. I let it warm up well though before moving. I do Run Mobil 1 synthetic year round in the KJ though, and if I was in super cold conditions, synthetic should be considered a must have come winter!
The power steering is noisy for what ever reason when cold. I think it has to do with some sort of lack of proper other oil or modifier. I have found that Lubegard as below in photo does really work well. Pump is dead quiet and will prolong life of pump and seals.
I suctioned out the reservoir on Ryan's and my KJ, and added in the Lubegard.
When it is cold or hot..noise be gone..
39748[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I've relocated back into the Great White North, I'm wondering if it'd be wise to have a block heater for the KJ, as the winters here will probably get -40 without a doubt...

How hard is it to install one?

Thanks!

-40....where did you move to again? I thought you were parking it in a garage? I wouldn't worry about it unless you are parking it outside in -40 every night.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup and worry about it in the fall...
You never know HJ may give up on winter after realizing the kJ will get super dirty, covered in salt slushies, and take his whole life to keep clean and polish everyday...:icon_twisted:
May be back in Florida soon :icon_razz::anitoof:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
At -10 Celsius, I dont even bother with my block heater. I let it warm up well though before moving. I do Run Mobil 1 synthetic year round in the KJ though, and if I was in super cold conditions, synthetic should be considered a must have come winter!
The power steering is noisy for what ever reason when cold. I think it has to do with some sort of lack of proper other oil or modifier. I have found that Lubegard as below in photo does really work well. Pump is dead quiet and will prolong life of pump and seals.
I suctioned out the reservoir on Ryan's and my KJ, and added in the Lubegard.
When it is cold or hot..noise be gone..
39750[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Regardless of the outside temperature during the "winter" months...
We plug in our Heep. It's happier so for the few extra penny's on the
electric bill it's worth it!

As far as the LubeGard, Hell ya I'll use that again!
It stopped the power Steering pump noise almost instantly once Tim poured it into the power steering reservoir.

Oh, and for the record?
I also use use...
Zeemax in the engine, transmission, and fuel system.
(GET READY ALL YOU NAY SAYERS with all your negative comments and pages of useless comments!!!)

And yes, we do notice a difference once I crunch the numbers on paper!
(Our last trip to Washington State our KJ returned a solid 26 miles per gallon.
With a lift and bigger tires!)
In fact, I've used it for a long long time and it has increased my fuel economy, and better shifting in the transmission.

Attachments

• LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Jeep rigs have block heaters standard up here whether you want it or not. Whether you use it is your business. EPA is all over AK for pollution and the recommendation is to plug in below 20F.
Have yet to have a starting problem and am still on the original battery (yeah I know I am pushing the envelope).(it's an 03 with 5w30 dino and 127K on it)
Plugging in makes life easier on the engine in my experience.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugging in makes life easier on the engine in my experience.

Exactly. Before we built our garage, and the vehicles sat outside, I'd plug them in when it got much below 0F. I had it on a timer so it was just for an hour or two, but you could sure tell a difference in how they sounded. Much easier on the vehicle.

I had the local dealer put the block heater in when we got the KJ, and it didn't cost that much.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silly HJ!
The "Great White North" is above the 49° Parallel!
Didn't you ever watch Bob and Doug McKenzie???:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Doug_McKenzie

Great show........"Great White North", eh....havn't seen it in a while.

Exactly. Before we built our garage, and the vehicles sat outside, I'd plug them in when it got much below 0F. I had it on a timer so it was just for an hour or two, but you could sure tell a difference in how they sounded. Much easier on the vehicle.

I had the local dealer put the block heater in when we got the KJ, and it didn't cost that much.

Did you recall what the dealer charged for the heater and install?.......just curious.

Dave

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres different kind of oil heaters. theres a dipstick heater (not sure if that works with a kj, theres the one that goes on the radiator hose, then thers one that goes into the block, theres one that magneticly attaches to your oil pan etc etc. lots of options

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres different kind of oil heaters. theres a dipstick heater (not sure if that works with a kj, theres the one that goes on the radiator hose, then thers one that goes into the block, theres one that magneticly attaches to your oil pan etc etc. lots of options

Yeah, you are right but I thought he was referring to an actual "block heater" that goes into the block since that was the term used??:shrug:

Dave

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you recall what the dealer charged for the heater and install?.......just curious.

I found the invoice. They charged me for 1 hour of labor, which was $72. I brought the heater in, since I work part-time at NAPA.

Latest posts

Members online