Added iPod hookup, now key-less entry doesnt work on my 06 CRD?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwallmow

Reaction score
So I installed a GROM Audio Aux+Bluetooth adapter that is supposed to be compatible with the factory radio (and seems to deliver on that). It works great with our iphones, full audio and control through the factory head-unit as "EXT-CD" (I had to unplug the unused factory Sirius tuner).

The problem is once it was installed, the factory keyless entry remotes quit working when the car is OFF, nothing, they just act dead. The odd thing is with a key in the ignition in ON position, they will still lock and unlock the doors just fine.

I am at a complete loss as to how this makes any sense, and the folks at Grom have been utterly useless, their only suggestion is that I return the adapter, and with them throwing in the towel so soon, I am kind of inclined to do just that to wash my hands of them, BUT, I REALLY want bluetooth working on the factory head-unit. It costs SO MUCH less than replacing the head unit with aftermarket (just the dash trim kits, harnesses, canbus adapter, and steering wheel control unit would cost 3x what this Grom interface cost, and that's without the cost of a new head-unit).

I miss the olden days when a radio was just a radio :shrug:

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed a GROM Audio Aux+Bluetooth adapter that is supposed to be compatible with the factory radio (and seems to deliver on that). It works great with our iphones, full audio and control through the factory head-unit as "EXT-CD" (I had to unplug the unused factory Sirius tuner).

The problem is once it was installed, the factory keyless entry remotes quit working when the car is OFF, nothing, they just act dead. The odd thing is with a key in the ignition in ON position, they will still lock and unlock the doors just fine.

I am at a complete loss as to how this makes any sense, and the folks at Grom have been utterly useless, their only suggestion is that I return the adapter, and with them throwing in the towel so soon, I am kind of inclined to do just that to wash my hands of them, BUT, I REALLY want bluetooth working on the factory head-unit. It costs SO MUCH less than replacing the head unit with aftermarket (just the dash trim kits, harnesses, canbus adapter, and steering wheel control unit would cost 3x what this Grom interface cost, and that's without the cost of a new head-unit).

I miss the olden days when a radio was just a radio :shrug:

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated

I know nothing about this Bluetooth kit as we cannot get it here in SA....how does it connect up?

Did you mess with any wiring with this installation?
have you checked all fuses...inside the cabin and under the hood?

rwallmow

Reaction score
I know nothing about this Bluetooth kit as we cannot get it here in SA....how does it connect up?

Did you mess with any wiring with this installation?
have you checked all fuses...inside the cabin and under the hood?

It connects up to the Sirius/cd-changer plug on the back of the radio.

Only wiring messed with was unplug sirius tuner and plug in bluetooth adapter.

Yes, Fuses all test good.

I am wondering if this is something I need the dealer to reprogram or something.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It connects up to the Sirius/cd-changer plug on the back of the radio.

Only wiring messed with was unplug sirius tuner and plug in bluetooth adapter.

Yes, Fuses all test good.

I am wondering if this is something I need the dealer to reprogram or something.

Try pulling it and see if that fixes it. I know in MANY vehicles, the receiver for the keyless entry signal is somewhere in the HU. However...I replaced my HU and had no problems with keyless since.

rwallmow

Reaction score
Try pulling it and see if that fixes it. I know in MANY vehicles, the receiver for the keyless entry signal is somewhere in the HU. However...I replaced my HU and had no problems with keyless since.

keyless works fine with their interface unit disconnected, I dug even deeper, its not even their unit, its the cable that goes between headunits CD/Sat port, and the units interface port. They seem to have some electronics in the cable, I am not sure if its bad or just not compatible with my vehicle, but looks like I am probably SOL in getting iphone integration with the factory radio since they don't want to help, other than offering a return.

Oh Goody, that means I need to spend like $1,000 to get a decent aftermarket headunit with iphone integration that retains steering wheel controls.

adamodonnell

Reaction score
Same problem here

I also installed the Grom adapter and the keyless remote stopped working. The lighter/charger stopped working too. When I called Grom they said they were aware of the issue, but like you the only advice they could offer was to return the piece.

Now I'm wondering if another iPod/mp3 adapter would cause the same issue.

rwallmow

Reaction score
I also installed the Grom adapter and the keyless remote stopped working. The lighter/charger stopped working too. When I called Grom they said they were aware of the issue, but like you the only advice they could offer was to return the piece.

Now I'm wondering if another iPod/mp3 adapter would cause the same issue.

We just returned the GROM crap and installed an aftermarket Pioneer Bluetooth enabled head-unit and steering wheel control adapter.

While we were at it we had the front door speakers replaced with pioneer speakers since the factory ones were trashed (the rubber ring detached from the paper cone like I guess is so common on the libbys).

For what its worth, it only cost about $500 to have all that replaced, best buy had some promo buying a head-unit and brand matched speakers that got us the speakers for free plus even a bit more off, was a pretty decent deal. Its not a super high end head-unit, but it does ipod and bluetooth, really all we wanted, and it sounds much better with the new speakers.

Last edited: