Actual Lift Amount - Lets Compare Fender Heights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust those lower cam tabs that have been welded on. Random hunks of steel between coils in shot springs to gain lift is never a good idea. I would venture a guess that the suspension geometry is far from ideal. I'm not saying you can't do what you're doing, and I'm not trying to offend, but it looks like a hack job. But you seem to having fun so carry-on, it's your rig afterall. Where does it measure? Hub to fender flare. Inquiring minds want to know.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust those lower cam tabs that have been welded on. Random hunks of steel between coils in shot springs to gain lift is never a good idea. I would venture a guess that the suspension geometry is far from ideal. I'm not saying you can't do what you're doing, and I'm not trying to offend, but it looks like a hack job. But you seem to having fun so carry-on, it's your rig afterall. Where does it measure? Hub to fender flare. Inquiring minds want to know.
Well as i said previously Im looking for the coil overs to do away with all spacers and the geometry is the same as factory. Every thing except the steering rack and outer tie rods which will be raised 3 3/4 inches to correct the bump stear. I just hadnt gotten that far as I previously stated. And 340 MPa. With a tensile strength of about 470MPa isn't just a hunk of steel.
As far as center of hub to fender right now is running at 29 inchs. And when finished with the new coil overs it should be closer to 30.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
And if you could point me in the direction of 26 to 28 inch coil overs that Will fit a kj the spacers will be gone.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine I'd want more metal in the extension brackets where they join the car, overlapping the joint and something more than a couple of long butt welds holding the suspension arm on, the brackets would be much stronger if they were boxed in and triangulated. I'd be very concerned about the current setup snapping off.
Also looks like a fluxcore mig has been used without any weld prep?
It's an interesting project but in my opinion needs a lot more strength adding.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Yup, I expect those non-reinforced welds to fold like white bread under flex stress.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
If it was mine I'd want more metal in the extension brackets where they join the car, overlapping the joint and something more than a couple of long butt welds holding the suspension arm on, the brackets would be much stronger if they were boxed in and triangulated. I'd be very concerned about the current setup snapping off.
I was asked for pictures it is far from done and I agree with you about boxing in but at a certain point you have to look at what it is your building off and the fact it is only held in place by two 14 mm & two 12 mm bolts and yes the metal was cleaned with a grinding disc before being strung with 5p+ and filled 7018.

Now when I get it completed I’ll post the photos then every one can nitpick and make the remarks on what i should have or should not have done. But f

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not trying to get at you, just suggesting that adding more metal might stop something nasty happening, it would be unpleasant if something came off at 50+.
When you post on here you will get comments from people who will point out something they think is unsafe. If you look at the original design you will see its significantly stronger than 2 add on plates stitch welded in place, you have increased the amount of leverage applied and decrease the strength at the point the suspension attaches to the car, you state its not finished but you them say you have done 1200 miles in it! I admire what you're doing but as I said earlier I think you should put a lot more strength in it before you start using it.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Not trying to get at you, just suggesting that adding more metal might stop something nasty happening, it would be unpleasant if something came off at 50+.
When you post on here you will get comments from people who will point out something they think is unsafe. If you look at the original design you will see its significantly stronger than 2 add on plates stitch welded in place, you have increased the amount of leverage applied and decrease the strength at the point the suspension attaches to the car, you state its not finished but you them say you have done 1200 miles in it! I admire what you're doing but as I said earlier I think you should put a lot more strength in it before you start using it.
I attached a picture of the adjustable spring tower I have started. Any suggestions on directions to go from here would definitely be appreciated and considered.

Well I suppose I should have just waited to post the picture . I was asked for them. And the fish plates will be on the inside of the Bracket Not really visible from the front and yes it is trial and error here so yeah it’s add something drive it adjust it drive it and check it again. And if I something comes up and there a problem the process starts over but I don’t have a set up to bounce and vibrate it to get everything settled so I do the next best thing I drive it down a wash board dirt road. After that’s done I figure it will be about as settled as it’s going to get. And I was saying it has not been a problem as of yet not that I’m not planning to reinforce it . But point out the paint jobs ***** when you are showing lead body work is kinda jumping the gun. But I had finally made it to the point it I felt it wasn’t the dumbest thing in the world I had done and it wasn’t a death trap. And I was not going to steer someone in the wrong direction if they felt that they wanted to follow suit. But anyway I don’t mind comment or ideas that would make it a better set up And help . But doubting my ability to do simple math and geometry is pointless. Those comments are pointless and some what out of line considering they know nothing about or of me. And I will have something to say that is equivalent to to their comment. Unless they are right. Then I would just say thank you and change it.
You must be registered for see images attach

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
As you can tell adding metal to the point of over kill isn’t much of an issue when I’m working on the final draft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
As you can tell adding metal to the point of over kill isn’t much of an issue when I’m working on the final draft.
I’m planning on drilling the holes out to 7/8 inch to lighten the load on the unstrung weight and a cross brace once I figured out where is a good place that it won’t be in the way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 6