Accessory belt noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisUCF99

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2005 Jeep Liberty... only has about 300 miles on it right now. I'm starting to hear a bit of belt noise coming from under the hood. It's not super loud but I can definately hear it when driving in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. When I get up to speed its not noticable. Is this common, or should I take it in to the dealer to have them tighten it up.

Chris

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is to take it in. I don't hear anything after 9 months.

Let us know what they say.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it in. There should be a spring-loaded tensioner for the belt (unless they changed the design) but the belt may need to be looked at. Its definitely under warranty, so let them worry about it.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree, take it in, I don't believe that you should hear that noise.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Take it in! That is not normal at all. I have heard a belt noise since about 4k, but it's super quiet, and I only hear it about once every month. Goes away at the next startup....

ChrisUCF99

Reaction score
Dealer called and said they replaced the belt, its nice and quiet now! Little worried that it needed to be "replaced" so fast when I just bought it.... Hopes its not a sign of things to come. [-o<

jmurt

Reaction score
My OEM belt self-destructed around 21K miles. It didn't snap, it separated longitudinally - the first 1/4" in from the engine - and slapped the underside of the hood as it spun. Made it home and had about about 5 strands left holding it together when I looked under the hood again. I replaced it and have had no problems since.

Anyone else had belt problems?

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problems here, then again i only have a little over 300 miles on my kj

ChrisUCF99

Reaction score
kegjeep said:
no problems here, then again i only have a little over 300 miles on my kj

I have about 100 more than that on mine. I'll will have had it two weeks this saturday.