Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepEV

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone here knows what model Jeeps came out with an accelerator pedal position sensor? I am pretty sure that they all do from 07 onwards, and I think diesel models also have it.

My ideal scenario is that I can buy one that will just bolt into my 03 KJ.

Can anyone confirm?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 gasser and possibly 06 diesel (could be wrong here) are drive-by-wire for the throttle. it's entirely in the pedal assembly.

perhaps an idea of what you're trying to accomplish is in order?

JeepEV

Reaction score
Hi Sota,

Thanks for the info.

I'm doing an electric conversion on a 2003 KJ. I could use a potbox on the end of the accelerator cable, which is the usual approach, but I thought a drive by wire pedal might be a nicer solution.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that most EV conversion setups I've read about use a pot box, and they usually come matched to a specific controller already, I'd start with that. If in the future you wanted to try and "clean it up" with a fly-by-wire pedal instead, then go for it. :)

Also, do a write up here of your install. I'm always curious to see what people do and use.

JeepEV

Reaction score
Thanks Sota,

I'm an electronics geek and at this stage have decided on building a custom microcontroller that will replace the ECU, and provide the comms that the other subsystems are listening for. With that in mind, interfacing to a pedal isn't a big problem for me, and keeps the engine bay a little less cluttered.

I will absolutely do a write-up of the project. I've been toying with the idea for a while and the decision was made when the 3.7 lost compression in a cylinder. Should be a fun project.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well in that case:
single motor? dual motor? ditch the engine/trans/t-case and go direct drive?

devauxr

Reaction score
Make a build thread, I've toyed with the idea of electric conversions in the past and would be really excited to watch this thing take shape.

JeepEV

Reaction score
Hi folks,

The idea is to use a 11" Kostov DC motor coupled to the manual transmission (its currently an auto), controlled by a Soliton1 controller. Battery voltage will be 144v.

I am also going to create a custom microcontroller that will perform some of the roles the stock PCM is doing, mainly driving the dash. I'll try and work out the SKIM module comms and integrate that as well.

I'm currently working out how I am going to approach the project. There will definitely be a build page.