acceleration and power problem/ coolant light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepC2004

Reaction score
Hi there,

New member and new owner to Jeep, just got a Jeep cherokee 2004 CRD 2.8 Auto trans Diesel,
I am from Europe and found out today it is known as cherokee overseas and is usually called a liberty KJ

1. first issue I noticed on day i drove home coolant light kept coming on although its losing coolant my mechanic cannot find a leak anywhere! I am topping it up with a small amount every 2 days or so then light comes on again and goes out after top up and back on after driving short distance for a few days.
There is water on the passenger floor but mechanic convinced it is not coolant! so could this be a seperate issue and be the heater core?

2. Most serious issue in my mechanics words it is completely Gutless and underpowered, something up with acceleration I am having a job driving up even the slightest incline or hill it or at a junction, pullling off it dosent seem to get above 20mph for quite a way.

He could not find an obvious leak, said it has been tinkered with recently as it had new fuel filter, found the fuel line had been changed but was a transmission hose and not a fuel line hose?
does anyone have any suggestions as to what they think these problems could be caused by?

1. Gut less seriously underpowered when taking off or driving along is it engine or gearbox fault causing lack of acceleration?
2. losing coolant,warning light on, every 2 days topping up by about an inch,wet on carpet passenger front side but mechanic cannot find a leak
3. The replaced fuel line that appears to be wrong hose and is a transmission hose.

Have it booked into Jeep dealership for engine diaognistics fault codes, but they are fully booked for next 3 weeks, dont feel like i should drive it until i know whats wrong, any suggestions would be much appreciated