AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaronjmartin

Reaction score
Hello,
New day, new problems with my 2006 Jeep Liberty. My AC compressor is SHOT. I need it fixed, but I really cant afford the $1000 fix up fee (college is quite expensive). Anyways, i'm wondering if you guys know whats the best, off brand AC compressor I can buy that'll work the best for me. Also, if anyone has ever replaced them, if theres a level of difficulty there that I shouldn't go near.
Thanks everyone

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the clutch has seized solidly to the AC Pulley then pull the AC Clutch Relay out to stop it ever engaging....this will stop the compressor turning.

If the compressor has exploded it is recommended that the piping and evaporator also be replaced as there could be major bits of compressor present there and this will destroy the next compressor.

What is wrong with the compressor?

aaronjmartin

Reaction score
The bearing on the compressor is making an awful grinding noise. Also the mechanic said the ac compressor itself is shot, which i knew anyways, i drove through the whole summer without any AC. I can live with it. Do you guys think the AC compressor bypass is worth it? I heard an 82.5 inch 6 ridge belt will do it fine, lemme know what you guys think.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the bearing on the pulley then that's an easy fix. If it's the bearing inside the compressor then it is shot. Like Billwill said, removing the clutch relay or removing the actual clutch in the center of the pulley (one nut) will stop the compressor from ever engaging and is essentially as good as bypass. This won't help if it's the bearing in that pulley.

Really iffy to bypass the AC unless only for the short term. It helps with the defrost and defog too.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the bearing on the pulley then that's an easy fix. If it's the bearing inside the compressor then it is shot. Like Billwill said, removing the clutch relay or removing the actual clutch in the center of the pulley (one nut) will stop the compressor from ever engaging and is essentially as good as bypass. This won't help if it's the bearing in that pulley.

Really iffy to bypass the AC unless only for the short term. It helps with the defrost and defog too.

Eh.. I've had mine bypassed for going on 3 years now. I'll get around to it.. eventually.

Members online

No members online now.