AC Compressor question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SanchJoe

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty that had it's motor swapped out to a 2002-2005 Liberty engine. Recently, my AC Compressor went out and I am trying to find a replacement for it. Anyone know if I would need to buy a 2002-2005 compressor kit, or would a 2006 AC compressor kit fit just as good? Sorry if this is a silly question or if this has been answered.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 to 05 are different from 06 to 08.
You will need an 02 to 05 .
Is it the compressor or the clutch that is shot?

Gyro

SanchJoe

Reaction score
02 to 05 are different from 06 to 08.
You will need an 02 to 05 .
Is it the compressor or the clutch that is shot?

Gyro
The compressor, I switched out the AC Clutch with a new one and it worked but it only lasted about 5 mins before it started smoking and I saw some sparks in the clutch area. When I took the new one off it had a lot of oil in there. So I’m just gonna replace the whole thing….unfortunate.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty that had it's motor swapped out to a 2002-2005 Liberty engine. Recently, my AC Compressor went out and I am trying to find a replacement for it. Anyone know if I would need to buy a 2002-2005 compressor kit, or would a 2006 AC compressor kit fit just as good? Sorry if this is a silly question or if this has been answered.
Rockauto is the best place for price and delivery to your house I got my 2004 Liberty a/c compressor from.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to drain and measure the oil that comes out of the old compressor and put the same amount of clean oil in the new one.

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
If your compressor is shot internally, you will need to change out the condenser and I would definitely change out the accumulator while you have the system apart.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what year motor is?

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your compressor is shot internally, you will need to change out the condenser and I would definitely change out the accumulator while you have the system apart.
Technically, you're also supposed to change out the orifice tube and flush the system, as well, when the compressor fails. This is supposed to ensure any potential particulates left in there from the compressor failure are removed and don't do damage to the replacement components.

When I replaced my compressor, I just picked up a lifetime warrantied one and crossed my fingers :cool:

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
Technically, you're also supposed to change out the orifice tube and flush the system, as well, when the compressor fails. This is supposed to ensure any potential particulates left in there from the compressor failure are removed and don't do damage to the replacement components.

When I replaced my compressor, I just picked up a lifetime warrantied one and crossed my fingers :cool:
Absolutely. Great advice. I recently replaced my entire system excluding the evaporator (I just flushed it out). I picked up an entire UAC system from Rockauto. The first compressor I received had a bent pulley, so had to return and wait for another one. I also replaced the two pressure switches (I bought Mopar).

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest price I've found is from rockauto, they show pictures of the compressor to match the fit.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar clutch/bearing failure, that ended with replacing the compressor. Rockauto had good pricing.