AC Compressor off 07 only fits 06-08?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Driver

Reaction score
I need a replacement compressor for my 07 but from what I can see it only shares the same compressor with 06-08?
I was hoping to save some time and money by finding one locally but I can't seem to find anything newer then 05.

Anyone know what difference there is and if there is any other vehicle I can snag a compressor from and it fit?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is different. My husband's cousin has an '07 and the clutch failed on his compressor, but it was otherwise good.

I thought that it'd be perfect to install a new clutch on it and keep it as a spare, but it is different than my '05 and will not work.

The Driver

Reaction score
It is different. My husband's cousin has an '07 and the clutch failed on his compressor, but it was otherwise good.

I thought that it'd be perfect to install a new clutch on it and keep it as a spare, but it is different than my '05 and will not work.
So 100% incompatible? I was hoping there was some way to rig an older compressor on my newer jeep as it'd save me a lot of money but looks like I'mma have to get the 200$ new Compressor. Even Used ones at my local pick your parts place was 147$ for an 07, or around 60$ for an 05 or older.
How did you check to see if it was the clutch? Mine is full on Freon/AC/Whatever it is we use now, I think it's the whole compressor as I tried insert a piece of wire into the lil' plug to bypass the clutch to get it to kick on and nothing happened, so I assumed it had to be the whole compressor.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My husband is an HVAC-R master, which is why his cousin brought it to our house in the first place.

He tested everything, including pressures, temperatures and switches.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 100% incompatible? I was hoping there was some way to rig an older compressor on my newer jeep as it'd save me a lot of money but looks like I'mma have to get the 200$ new Compressor. Even Used ones at my local pick your parts place was 147$ for an 07, or around 60$ for an 05 or older.
How did you check to see if it was the clutch? Mine is full on Freon/AC/Whatever it is we use now, I think it's the whole compressor as I tried insert a piece of wire into the lil' plug to bypass the clutch to get it to kick on and nothing happened, so I assumed it had to be the whole compressor.

Do you hear the clutch kick in...distinctive Clunk!
Swap over the Aircon Relay with an identical one nearby.
If you jumper pins 30 and 87 together inside the Aircon Relay socket it will force the clutch to energize BUT do not run it like this for any length of time because if it is low on Refrigerant you will destroy the compressor.

There is a Low Refrigearnt Sensor which stops the Relay from energizing if Refrigerant is low so if the Clutch does engage with the above jumper inserted then maybe you need to visit an Aircon shop to have them check the Refrigerant level and check for leaks!

The Driver

Reaction score
Do you hear the clutch kick in...distinctive Clunk!
Swap over the Aircon Relay with an identical one nearby.
If you jumper pins 30 and 87 together inside the Aircon Relay socket it will force the clutch to energize BUT do not run it like this for any length of time because if it is low on Refrigerant you will destroy the compressor.

There is a Low Refrigearnt Sensor which stops the Relay from energizing if Refrigerant is low so if the Clutch does engage with the above jumper inserted then maybe you need to visit an Aircon shop to have them check the Refrigerant level and check for leaks!
No, the clutch does not kick on, and it is full on refrigerant and the pressure is good.
Which means the clutch or the entire compressor is bad?
Just not sure how to make sure it is the clutch, and not the whole compressor.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually is just the clutch, but it takes a bit of work and tools to replace. We have the tools and my husband has the know-how, but it usually is a bit easier to replace the whole compressor.

For the warranty on the new compressor, they might make you buy and install new hoses. NAPA did for my husband's cousin's '07.

The Driver

Reaction score
It usually is just the clutch, but it takes a bit of work and tools to replace. We have the tools and my husband has the know-how, but it usually is a bit easier to replace the whole compressor.

For the warranty on the new compressor, they might make you buy and install new hoses. NAPA did for my husband's cousin's '07.
Yeah, after looking over all the options it seems like getting a refurbished Compressor is the way to go, The clutch is not much cheaper than a refurbished compressor, and seems like the easier path, I just didn't want a refurbished part as I've had issues with them not lasting too long before, guess I'll have to roll the dice.

I never take my vehicles to a shop unless I absolutely have to, the fix/swap will be done in my driveway/garage, but thanks for the heads up.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the clutch does not kick on, and it is full on refrigerant and the pressure is good.
Which means the clutch or the entire compressor is bad?
Just not sure how to make sure it is the clutch, and not the whole compressor.

Check with a meter if you get +12 volts at the clutch with regards to ground when you have jumpered pins 30 and 87 together inside the AC Relay socket. If not, check if pins 30 and 87 have +12 volts on them when jumpered....if +12 volts is there but not at the clutch then you have a broken wire or bad connector in line with that lead.

If there is not +12 volts at pins 30 and 87 with ignition ON then check the fuses. Download the Jeep KJ Service Manuals for the wiring diagram in Section 8W. There is no 2007 manual but the 2006 is probably close enough although wire colors are probably different.

Fuse 21 20 A in the fuse box under the hood is for the AC on the 2006 KJs...power then goes through connector C104 and ground for the clutch is at G103.

Last edited: