AC Clutch chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the normal sound on the AC clutch isnt exactly quiet, but this has gotten loud.

Seems the AC clutch chatters when it cycles on. Weird part about this, only makes this chatter when in R or D, if left in park it sounds like it always has.

Any ideas, has anyone had this? Clutch going out?

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude!..little advice-my truck almost went up in flames due to second guessing. If you are hearing strange noises from the clutch then replace it and anything else that you feel is making noises and don't sound right

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the belt tensioner... Seems we have had a rash of A/C and Tensioner problems on here lately.

Check the tensioner and belt first, its cheaper than a new A/C compressor!!

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Put a new belt on two weeks ago as preventive maintenance. While the belt was off I checked pulleys for smoothness and any wobble, nothing stuck out. How else can I check to distinguish?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Put a new belt on two weeks ago as preventive maintenance. While the belt was off I checked pulleys for smoothness and any wobble, nothing stuck out. How else can I check to distinguish?
There is a internal spring in the tensioner that goes bad just as fast as the serp belt and has nothing to do with the pulley bearings.I kept the bad tensioner that would only chatter with the A/C,just to have a 3rd set of pulley's just in case.Since you can not check that spring in the tensioner you just replace the tensioner whne you change the belt,cheap insurance.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2... Seems the recommended procedure is belt and tensioner whenever you replace.

I should pick up the set so i have it ready when i need it, so far the belt is nice and tight and quiet on my 03' but i don't know if its the original or not at 46k.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the tensioner a one piece or can I just buy bearings, pulleys, etc.?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tensioner is about $50-$60 on RockAuto, and the belt is another $25.

I also checked Advance Auto Parts, about the same price there for both, $56 for the tensioner, $25 for the belt. So about $80 with tax either way.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for anyone else who might read. Put new dayco tensioner on tonight, that was it. Belt tension is tight but doesn't seem to be as tight, maybe factory tensioner has a different spread from pulley to pulley, just a smidgen.

Thanks for the help, easy 15 min fix.