A/C on in windshield defrost mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 03 Liberty A/C comes on when a windshield defrost mode is selected and there is no way to turn it off. I know it comes on to dry the air to better defog the window but sometimes i want to have defrost mode on and not run the a/c. I know this got solved on later Liberty models with addition of on/off button. My question is, has anyone tried adding an on/off switch to earlier Liberty models, if so could you share diy. Thanks.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost every US vehicle since the late 90's automatically runs the compressor in defrost mode for that very reason. The 2004 HVAC module in the dash has a button but that isn't going to stop the compressor from being used in defrost mode, that's just for when you have it in vent mode (outside air to vents). You would have to rig inline to actually turn off the compressor the way you want to.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my windshield fogs up like crazy when i’m driving in the rain, i just don’t want to run compressor all the time. I just want warm air blowing on the windshield, so I’m trying to figure out how hard is it to install an a/c on-off switch

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard, there's a 'how to' on here or Lost, but the AC does the best job of demisting.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
This is the picture showing the required modifications:
You have to cut the copper bars in two places as shown and solder in a small bypass wire.
I have done the mod to my 05 CRD several years back and it works just fine!
You must be registered for see images attach

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the picture showing the required modifications:
You have to cut the copper bars in two places as shown and solder in a small bypass wire.
I have done the mod to my 05 CRD several years back and it works just fine!
You must be registered for see images attach
Doing this will prevent a/c Compressor from running in windshield defrost mode only or it’ll stop it in windshield & legs mode as well?

Latest posts

Members online