A/C freezing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
The evap freezing is not due to under charged state,poor performance is the result from a under charged state.

Sounds like a bad low pressure switch..............

Just an update...Got a new low pressure switch from rock auto and seems to have fixed the problem....It is cycling (not as often as some others, but more than before, and the condensation is dripping more during operation, not just when I shut her off.

Thanks for the help

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Awesome, mine started doing this exact thing last summer so I guess Ill be replacing the low pressure switch. I use my A/C maybe 10-15 times during the summer months so its not really an issue though.

Wonder if this is it? It calls it a cycling pressure switch.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=TEM207461_0265084385&An=599001+102004+50038+2038037

Yes, the name has some variety through different stores. Got mine from below..May be a few $ cheaper

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...64&parttype=4284&a=FRc1378964k1251628-8397063

gotglasses

Reaction score
A/C gets warm

I have had many cars that do this. I have already changed out my evaporator, compressor, condensor (florida a/c works OT) and whatever else has to do with the a/c. Who can tell me what is happening when after a while of driving, 45 mins or so, the a/c stops cooling, I have to run it on vent for about a minute or so, (to defrost I call it) then it is good for another 45 mins. What it is? Thanks

The compressor low pressure / cycling switch probably is bad. The compressor should cycle on off several times a minute to prevent evaporator freeze ups which block everything up. If the line the the evaporator is cold your compressor is working. The system overflow tube will not drain water until the ice melts, then you will get a big puddle in your garage.

Get the proper switch - Dealer sold me two wrong ones, they were Black color, then replaced evaporator for $2500. Same problem occured again. Got the right switch,a GREY one, from RockAuto for $13 and problem solved.

This taught me not to trust Jeep parts again.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to bring an old post back to life but.....

how in the sam heck do you get a wrench in there to take the low pressure switch out? :help:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MARRAGHUHWAAAIIUHGOOOAHHRAAAHHHRAAAHHHAR (zombie sounds)

He said just get you a slim wrench and you can get it out

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

gotglasses

Reaction score
a/c freezing, car warm

I have had many cars that do this. I have already changed out my evaporator, compressor, condensor (florida a/c works OT) and whatever else has to do with the a/c. Who can tell me what is happening when after a while of driving, 45 mins or so, the a/c stops cooling, I have to run it on vent for about a minute or so, (to defrost I call it) then it is good for another 45 mins. What it is? Thanks

it needs to be evacuated and the correct amount of refrigerant installed. This is hard to do without good equipment and skill. I have been through this on both my Jeeps. Start with a new A/C compressor switch. The compressor should turn on and off a few times a minute to prevent icing up the evaporator and cutting off airflow and cool air! The pressures have to be correct and an overcharge will keep it too high and the compressor will never turn off or cycle properly. In my case a new evaporator was installed and there was so much oil and green tracer in the system that pressures were always too high. That was the shop's fault, not mine.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I might have the same problem. Compressor never cycles, runs constantly when A/C is on. Temperature never gets below 50 from the vents. Hooked up a manifold gauge, and pressures seemed very high. Perhaps system has too much refrigerant? This is how is was, since I purchased it. Does anyone know what the normal pressures should be?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I might have the same problem. Compressor never cycles, runs constantly when A/C is on. Temperature never gets below 50 from the vents. Hooked up a manifold gauge, and pressures seemed very high. Perhaps system has too much refrigerant? This is how is was, since I purchased it. Does anyone know what the normal pressures should be?

Pressures vary depending on ambient temp and humidity,not to mention altitude.

You need to evac and recharge by weight(not those parts store cans) to verify the correct charge.

Latest posts

Members online