A/C Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 liberty renegade this week. This is the first jeep I have owned. It is fantastic. I have one question. When I have the heat controls in the dash on the floor position, my A/C Compressor cycles off and on. It stays on for about 20 sec. and then shuts off for about a minute. I know it suppose to cycle off and on in defrost and defrost floor setting, but this is the first vehicle I have owned that does it when the setting is for the floor vents. Is this a normal jeep thing or is something wrong, Also the A/C snowflake button is off when this happens. With gas prices the way they are I think this would affect my fuel usage. The dealer did give me a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty. Please help the jeep newbie. Thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, they felt the need to make it come on with the floor position on the 05+ libertys. Not sure why they thought having it kick on with the floor/defrost and the defrost wasnt enough.

I dont like the A/C coming on with the floor/defrost. I like for it to come on with just the pure defrost and thats it.

So in short, it will make you mpg go down and use the A/C more than it needs to be used. Some people will say its to 'lube' the seals in the A/C system but they get lubed enough by using the defrost settings once a week or so.

Welcome to JeepKj!!!!

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just got out of the hospital and just checking me e-mail and stuff. I'm glad you ansewered that for me as I was about to take it back to the dealer I bought it at. Thanks Again For you help.

Joe W

Reaction score
I set mine to the vent position to avoid the AC compressor....saves gas but in really cold weather my feet will get cold and I'll have to give in and put it on "floor" for a while.....Let your wallet be your guide,Joe W.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC

It does make a difference. I have a 2004, and I usually drive with it set on recirculate so I won't have to smell the landfill, exhaust or cigarette smoke. The only way to do this on an 04 was to have the AC on. I swapped out the controls with the 05+ model so I can drive around with the recirculate feature on, and leave the AC off. My mileage went up 1.5 mpg.