A arm hitting spring while sitting in driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just replaced everything up front. When I put the clevis back in, I left it about 1/4" gap for the clevis lift. On the pass side as it sits the spring is up against the a arm ( using the JBA arms ). I have the top plate and I have an 04 but I swapped to the larger clevis'. When I measure I get about a half inch difference in height from drivers to pass ( pass being higher ). Do I just need to lower the shock down in the clevis? I remember Tom mentioned some ago, that the front ends of the Liberty's arent very true, so just checking if thatll solve my issue or if something else is happening. Thanks

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about this larger clevis? Did you settle (bounce) the jeep a bit before tightening any pivot bushings?

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about this larger clevis? Did you settle (bounce) the jeep a bit before tightening any pivot bushings?
Larger clevis from a newer Liberty ( mine is an 04 ), the one that is a bit longer.

I did not. Upper and lower control arms were torqued to spec while the front end was on blocks.

EDIT: OK, just watched some vids, guess I found my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Newer Liberty ????
What year clevis ?
02-07 are all the same
08 to 12 will give you 3/4 inch more lift, plus leaving 1/4 inch clevis there is another 1/2 inch
then a top pate of unknown thickness ?????
So say you have 927s with 2.5 inches of lift , and all of your additions you may be well over 4 inches of lift and OF COURSE too much lift and will of course the springs will hit the UCAs
So now measure middle of the hub to bottom of the flare and report back on LEFT SIDE
What springs are you using ?

Even with the JBA UCAs you can only go so high before you have lots of issues
That is what I went with the JBA adjustable coilover lift

ALWAYS , ALWAYS torque with full weight on the ground as far as UCAs, sway bar links etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Larger clevis from a newer Liberty ( mine is an 04 ), the one that is a bit longer.

I did not. Upper and lower control arms were torqued to spec while the front end was on blocks.

EDIT: OK, just watched some vids, guess I found my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.
Not all mistakes

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything loose. Bounced the Jeep. Jacked up the Jeep and let it just drop several times. Its on slide plates I made so the wheels can slide in and out easier so it settles in a normal resting position. It is still 1/2" higher on passenger side.

Yes Tom, one from an 08 thru 12
Clevis gap is set at 1/4"on pass side 5/16 on drivers ( drivers side always sat a little lower than pass )
1/4" top plate from JBA
Upper control arms from JBA
OME 927's

Should I just lower the clevis gap on pass side or does anyone I have an issue?

Tom, I dont have fender flares to get that type of measurement.

Attachments

• 20221102_125731.jpg
    20221102_125731.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221102_125657.jpg
    20221102_125657.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 21

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by zeroing out the additional clevis lift. You're running longer than stock clevis forks as it is. Also your spring isolators look pretty tired. Perhaps a fresh set would even things out. You could mount mount upper ball joints to bottom of uca. But either way I think with the longer clevis and clevis lift you're pushing it. One or the other.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Really you should do away with top plate and clevis both with the longer clevis you are using that gives you over an inch of additional lift right there
Sounds like what some try and do on Fakebook thinking more is better LOL
EVEN WITH JBA UCAs 3.5 in max in height before you get spring/UCA contact some even at 3.25 on bumps etc on the road
sad you do not have flares

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1/4 inch top plate adds 1/2 inch
your Clevis ( on passenger side ) adds another 1/2 inch
Then longer Clevis is adding over an inch
so with just those adds almost another 1,25 inches to an already 2.5 inches
Need to get it down to around 3.5 which with the added longer clevis is it

Now if you buy my JBA adjustable coilover lift you can go 4 plus LOL
but not with your combo
what size tires ?

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/4 inch top plate adds 1/2 inch
your Clevis ( on passenger side ) adds another 1/2 inch
Then longer Clevis is adding over an inch
so with just those adds almost another 1,25 inches to an already 2.5 inches
Need to get it down to around 3.5 which with the added longer clevis is it

Now if you buy my JBA adjustable coilover lift you can go 4 plus LOL
but not with your combo
what size tires ?
Ok, I dropped the clevis lift on pass side and that ended up giving me the same measurements and spacing to equal what I am reading on the drivers side.

Id love the coilover lift, but Hurricane Ian wiped out my job on the island, so having limited budget right now. They had to take back the company truck, which is why Im working on the Jeep so I can go job hunting :( **** I hate that process.

Ah 265/75-16 I believe

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I dropped the clevis lift on pass side and that ended up giving me the same measurements and spacing to equal what I am reading on the drivers side.

Id love the coilover lift, but Hurricane Ian wiped out my job on the island, so having limited budget right now. They had to take back the company truck, which is why Im working on the Jeep so I can go job hunting :( **** I hate that process.

Ah 265/75-16 I believe
and no regear Ill bet as well
with everything you have still going to have UCA/spring contact

Latest posts

Members online