7 Pin Wiring Harness Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y-Guy

Reaction score
I could use some advice here.

I installed the two wiring harnesses for a 7 pin Wiring Harness in my Liberty. The install went well it seemed. Hook up to a 4 way adapter worked fine. Then I hooked up to a trailer with brakes and found the brakes were engaging. The issue there is I hadn't yet installed a brake controller, so the brakes shouldn't have been on.

I have four issues, which are probably related.

1) Brakes are on even without a controller
2) #4 connector according to Jeep is the brake line, but the standard wiring code says it should be a battery charge line.
3) The #4 connector is always hot even with the key out
4) The running lights do not work.

So I am now thinking that when I installed the wiring harness in the rear of the Jeep that somehow got the wrong wires pushed into the connector. The diagram gave very vague direction (see picutre). So now I am wondering if anyone has a photo or service manual showing what these wires should look like so I can compare them to how I installed mine.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice

You must be registered for see images

The other issue is that the diagram on the Jeep 7 pin doesn't match up to standard 7 pin car end diagrams.

# Standard diagram -- Jeep diagram
1 Common Ground -- Running Light
2 Electric Brake -- Battery Charge
3 Tail/Running lights -- common ground
4 Battery Charge -- electric brake
5 left turn/stop -- left turn/stop
6 right turn/stop -- right turn/stop
7 aux/back up -- back up

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online