5W-30 vs 5W-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gulped up 5 fresh quarts(Minus what I spilled on the engine :)) of Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 and a Napa Gold filter today. First time my Jeep has had a filter other than PureOne on it.

Also got a new PCV valve although the old one seemed to be working fine... Ended up just breaking the old one to get it out.. Little bugger is tricky.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just found the thread.

Big debate? Seems like an everyone else against one thread to me.

Anywho, another reason (besides the rumored "CAFE" excuse) is simply cost.

If one of your engines NEEDS 5W-20, and all of the rest of your engines can durably run 5W-20, then why not just fill them all (or as many as possible) with 5W-20? This way a manufacturer, in this case, Chrysler, can just buy nothing but 5W-20 and save a few pennies doing it? Did anyone EVER think about this at all? No, too busy complaining about CAFE regulations. And how about talking to the Engineers, instead of just random people on forums?

That's what I do. :)

Well said Marlon!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that Libby on the cover of the owners manual not have roof rails? Looks funny without them.

Oh yeah, I use 1050w-8. May not be recommended, but I think it works awesome, 'cuz I heard online that it gives me 13.7 more horsepower and 8.7698460 more mpg.

:D